Ot Double Ended Row Boat

kwalispecial

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Can you help with info on a double-ender? It's a bit hard to read, with a screw through one number, but it appears to show:

130035 16

The Old Town boat with serial number 130035 is shown as 13 1/2 feet long, a CS (common sense or standard) grade lapstrake sailboat equipped with a keel. The canoe was built in April 1940. The original exterior paint was white, blue, and gray. It was shipped to Iver Johnson S.G. Co. in Fitchburg, Massachusetts on May 21, 1940. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below.
130035-00974A.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe.

Photos of the boat would help a great deal, especially photos of the serial numbers -- seeing which digit(s) are obscured helps to limit the numbers that have to be searched. And of course, we just like to see pictures of old canoes.

Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Greg

Thanks Greg, but I think I must have misread the SSN, because that's not the right kind of boat.

Can you try 130085?

This is a 4-seat double-ended row boat with 2 rowing positions.

Thanks!

By the way, I'm a new member of the group and it says I'm not allowed to link to pictures until I've posted more, or I would have included some pics...

I think we may have it this time. The Old Town boat with serial number 130085 is shown as a 16 foot long CS (common sense or standard) grade double ended boat with a 48" beam, open spruce gunwales, equipped with a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. The canoe was built between May and June 1940. The original exterior paint was dark green. It was shipped to Phillips Lake, Maine on May 15, 1941.

The boat was returned to Old Town twice for repairs, as shown by notations on the back of the build record.

When first returned, on August 30, 1963, fairly extensive work was done, including new seats, new canvas and paint (dark green) and new outside stems, bang plates, keel, floor rack, painter ring, outside rails and shaving and smoothing the hull. It was shipped back to Sherborn, Massachusetts on October 31, 1963

It was returned a second time on September 1, 1965 by a different owner for repairing outside rails, sanding paint off canvas, 2 patches to the planking, and again painted dark green. It was returned to Grafton, Massachusetts on September 14, 1965.

A scan of this build record and notes can be found by following the links behind the thumbnail images attached below.

130085-00923A.jpg 130085-00923B.jpg

You've got a nice looking boat -- let me know if this is the right record.

Back