OT dimension info requested

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
Hey guys,

Anybody have a 18' OT HW that they could measure?

Am looking for the width for the center and 1/4 thwart.

I can place the spacing at 9 1/2 ribs from center but can't get close to measure the width.

Thanks,

Dan

YOu owe me a coffee.

My 1926 OT 18' HW 88445 is as follows.
Five thwarts total. The short hand thwarts I did not measue. I did go out in the cold and dark and got the following. The center thwart is 34". Going forward from center between 9th and 10 rib I measured the inwhales and got 29 3/4" to the outside of the inwhales. But of course there's a little diference between the front/back of the thwart because my canoe is pointy at both ends. Going back from center 8 ribs I get 30 3/4" for that thwart.
Hope that helps.
Dave.

Dave - five thwarts, eh?...that wouldn't have been a sponson canoe now, would it?

Cabin-feverish in NY,
Dan

Oops, why yes it WAS. Once upon a time. But no longer. BTW Dan, a friend of mine talked me out of a pond hawk. She loves it. As you know it is so friendly. It is on Green Lake, at Interlochen, the music place where I got kicked out of a Doc Severenson concert once. Twice actually.

Here it is now.

this is what it looks like. I like it better without the sponsons, which i forgot all about.

Attachments

• OldTown.JPG
    OldTown.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 649
Thanks Dave,

That's what we are looking for.

And actually the canoe in question is a sponson canoe. It's one that the owner has been "working" on for many years with very slow progress. The last couple years he has (with some help) got it so it is now ready for canvas. We (the MN Chapter) are going to canvas and fill it next weekend.

On a Guide I have, I believe the two 1/4 thwarts are both 9 1/4 ribs from center. Now I have to look at my HW harder if I can. (it's currently "buried" on a rack above and behind several other boats)

Dan

Back