Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Old Town With Sponsons Serial Number 7180 18

Discussion in 'Serial Number Search' started by Shari Gnolek, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Yes, Howie. The canvas is lapped over the transom and stapled. The Tim get bedded and fastened over the overlap.
    I mill out a little bit on the trim to fit over the canvas.
    Some square sterns have a rabbet milled in the transom. In that case, I bed the rabbet and fold about a half inch of canvas over to fit in the rabbet and staple.....no overlap.
    As far as weight goes, I may have suggested a trailer to Shari previously. In that case weight doesn’t matter.
    Even without sponsons, this craft will be heavy. Unless Shari is getting younger and stronger, I’d suggest not cartopping it.
    I have only rowed square sterns with sponsons. I can’t attest to the stability. They are not that tough to canvas......and the look cool on this boat!

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

3. OP
    OP
    Shari Gnolek

Shari Gnolek Have dog, will paddle

This is how the canvas was installed when I removed it.

I don't think this particular boat weighs quite that much. I doesn't have as many seats, seat braces, or the full length seat supports shown. We thought it weighed maybe 130 - 140 pounds when we got it but that was with missing canvas and also a few months back when I was younger and stronger :). Either way, too heavy to transport without a trailer. However, I did weigh the sponsons. Without canvas on them they weigh about 12 pounds each, so say ~15 pounds (30lbs total) would be about 15 - 20% of the finished weight of the canoe.

4. Benson Gray

The 1952 and 1920 catalogs (as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/dimens-2.gif ) indicate that the sponsons add 35 pounds to this boat. (The 1920 version of this boat was narrower and listed at 180 pounds.) You are likely to want a trailer either way.

Benson

Shari Gnolek likes this.
  5. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Shari,
    So as not to confuse you, the half inch or whatever of canvas is folded UNDER. You may have noticed this when you took it apart.
    Stretch the canvas as you normally would....attach along the gunwales and stem. BUT don’t attempt to fold the canvas under when it is in the stretch. Staple the canvas with “cheater” staples that will hold the stretch about an inch forward of the rabbet. Apply some bedding compound along the rabbet, trim it and fold it under to fit in the rabbet, and attach it with staples or tacks. Once that is done, you can remove the “cheaters”. The canvas will relax slightly, but not enough to affect the stretch. All done.....at least with the hull.

Shari Gnolek likes this.
  6. fossil892

fossil892 New Member

Hello

Am working on an Old Towne 16' Square Stern Sponson # 8 5 3 1 3 16

Would anyone be able to furnish info or a Build Sheet on this boat.

Many Thanks,

Erik

7. Benson Gray