Old Town With Sponsons Serial Number 7180 18

Yes, Howie. The canvas is lapped over the transom and stapled. The Tim get bedded and fastened over the overlap.
I mill out a little bit on the trim to fit over the canvas.
Some square sterns have a rabbet milled in the transom. In that case, I bed the rabbet and fold about a half inch of canvas over to fit in the rabbet and staple.....no overlap.
As far as weight goes, I may have suggested a trailer to Shari previously. In that case weight doesn’t matter.
Even without sponsons, this craft will be heavy. Unless Shari is getting younger and stronger, I’d suggest not cartopping it.
I have only rowed square sterns with sponsons. I can’t attest to the stability. They are not that tough to canvas......and the look cool on this boat!

Some square sterns have a rabbet milled in the transom. In that case, I bed the rabbet and fold about a half inch of canvas over to fit in the rabbet and staple.....no overlap.
This is how the canvas was installed when I removed it.

lists the weight at 200 pounds
I don't think this particular boat weighs quite that much. I doesn't have as many seats, seat braces, or the full length seat supports shown. We thought it weighed maybe 130 - 140 pounds when we got it but that was with missing canvas and also a few months back when I was younger and stronger :). Either way, too heavy to transport without a trailer. However, I did weigh the sponsons. Without canvas on them they weigh about 12 pounds each, so say ~15 pounds (30lbs total) would be about 15 - 20% of the finished weight of the canoe.

Shari,
So as not to confuse you, the half inch or whatever of canvas is folded UNDER. You may have noticed this when you took it apart.
Stretch the canvas as you normally would....attach along the gunwales and stem. BUT don’t attempt to fold the canvas under when it is in the stretch. Staple the canvas with “cheater” staples that will hold the stretch about an inch forward of the rabbet. Apply some bedding compound along the rabbet, trim it and fold it under to fit in the rabbet, and attach it with staples or tacks. Once that is done, you can remove the “cheaters”. The canvas will relax slightly, but not enough to affect the stretch. All done.....at least with the hull.

Hello

Am working on an Old Towne 16' Square Stern Sponson # 8 5 3 1 3 16

Would anyone be able to furnish info or a Build Sheet on this boat.

Many Thanks,

Erik

Found this post searching OT Sponson boats. This is a 15' footer. Maybe the model/length affects the serial number or this is an older boat? Would love to hear anyone's thoughts. This boat will be for sale.

Serial 15 136749.

View attachment 40657 View attachment 40658 View attachment 40659

Thanks so much for the help!
So I know it's an Old Town because it does have the name plate on the bow deck. I was trying to read the number from the inside front stem, but I see in the directions in the link that you provided that the serial number can also be found in the back. I will have to check there when I go back tomorrow and/or try a rubbing. Do these photos provide any clues?

Back