Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Old Town Rowing Seat w/ Foot Brace

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Howie, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

Got bored with the snow & cold so I refinished this rowing seat & foot brace. It came with a 1906 OT HW project I picked up a few months ago. The seat straddles the rails which measure 12 7/8" wide & 48" long. The seat itself measures 15 1/2" wide & 14 5/8" deep and can be placed anywhere you like atop the rails.

20171231_121915.jpg 20171231_122131.jpg 20171231_122149.jpg 20171231_122053.jpg 20170928_102956.jpg 20170928_102948.jpg
    I've included a picture from a poster I have which shows various Old Town paraphernalia, including this 'Rowing Seat with Foot Brace'. Anybody know when Old Town offered them?

I don't intend to use it myself so I'll be putting it up in the WCHA Classifieds section. I'm thinking that in addition to being used for rowing it might also be nice to use as an extra seat in the center of longer canoes. It might also be used in canoes where the rear seat has been removed as it significantly lowers a paddler's center of gravity thereby the canoe's stability.

O - Anybody know of a H.W.Whilehill? He carved his name in two places into the wood. I assume he was from the NY Adirondacks area as that's where the canoe was found. Interestingly, the canoe that came with it was delivered to Paul Smith Station back in 1906 which was located very near where the WCHA assembly is held today.

2. OP
    OP
    Howie

Oops... type-o. The carved name is H.W.Whitehall.

3. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

These rowing seats were pictured in the Old Town catalogs from 1904 to 1965 as shown below. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

PAGE-18.jpg PAGE-07.JPG

4. Bob Fricke

Bob Fricke New Member

Howie, Did you perchance sell your rowing seat yet? Would you have a tracing of the seat support profile or at least the height? Sincerely Bob F.

5. OP
    OP
    Howie

Sorry - sold it a while back. I've no tracings.

6. Bob Fricke

Bob Fricke New Member

No problem Howie, thanks for the quick response. It doesn't look too difficult. Looks to be about 5" tall. Bob

7. Brad Fisher

Brad Fisher New Member

I need one of these for my 1924 OT double ender. Also, foot rack and seats. Anybody know of plans somewhere to build them?