Old Town Paint

sander63*

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am getting ready to paint my first restoration (a 1939 OT HW ) and was intending to replicate the original fire red color using Pettit ez poxy that I already have. It is a nice glossy paint but was wondering what it might have looked like originally when new, glossy or matte? When doing the varnish ( after reading about it here ) I used Epiphanes woodfinish gloss for the base coats and finished with the matte which gave it a soft vintage look which I like.
I appreciate all the help received from the WCHA folks!
Regards
Tom

Tom...
It's a real accomplishment to get to the paint stage. The wait is almost over.
The original paint was probably glossy. I have finished several canoes with a matte paint and many more with a glossy finish. Since it's "just paint" paint it to suit your personal preference. You can always repaint it if you decide you don't like it.
There have been several attempts made to ferret out the original paint colors and finishes. The problem has been that the period paint chips have faded...and making that even more challenging, the colors changed over time but the names didn't.
To illustrate that here is a thread where the available charts were compared.
http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/old-town-color-chart-circa-1920.7345/

Thanks MGC for the comments and link to the OT chart, interesting! I think will paint the first coat glossy, see how I like it ( hopefully wont show up too many novice mistakes) and then go to matte
if necessary.
Regards,
Tom

Thanks Mike and Andre, great information I am going to order the flattener tomorrow.
Regards,
Tom

Back