Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Old Town Boats

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Dave Osborn, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Did old Town have different decals for boats or did they use the Old Town Canoe Decals?
    Dave

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Both, depending on the boat and the era as shown below. I may be able to give a better answer if you can provide a serial number or the model and year.

Benson

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Benson,
    It’s a 1937 16’ Square Stern.
    I just put a replica canoe decal on it, but then started to wonder if boats had a separate deck decal.
    I wonder if boat decals are available anywhere....

Attached Files:

4. Shari Gnolek

Shari Gnolek Have dog, will paddle

You can buy them from the WCHA store :) http://wcha.org/store/decals

According to the instructions that came with the one I purchased, they go on over the varnish and weren't varnished over. So if you are inquiring for that beautiful squared-stern, sponson covered boat that you posted a picture of yesterday it's not too late!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Shari,
    The one in the photos is long gone and being enjoyed by third and forth generations. It had a replica Old Town Canoe decal on it. I suppose it was appropriate because the model name for that one was “Old Town Square Stern Paddling Canoe”.
    The boat in question in my post here is a Old Town Square Stern. Sorta misleading because it is a full blown 16’ row boat and not like yours or the one I restored previously.

Attached Files:

6. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

It could have originally had a canoe decal or a boat decal as shown below from a similar 1941 Sportboat. I don't know of anyone who has reproduced these decals.

Benson

1941-133047.jpg

7. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

I might have a couple or three of the 1950s-style "Boat" decals that I got from OTCC while they still offered them. I can check in April ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

That would be great, Dan!!

9. fossil892

fossil892 New Member

Hello Dan

I would also be interested in obtaining a 50,s style Boat Decal , if you have one.

Thanks, Erik