Old Charles Kuralt Video

Fitz,

Thanks for posting this. I'd heard about it, but was unable to find it. One of Bills' canoes is hanging over the bar at the Burntside Lodge outside of Ely. I always make a point of having a beer or two under it when we visit Ely.

Those old Kuralt shows were from the long gone golden days of television before it turned into a piece of furniture with a bunch of chips it it.

Fitz said:
This link to an old video piece showed up on another paddling site. It is an interview with Ray Bozel, a birchbark canoe builder.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/13/eveningnews/main4600840.shtml?tag=rightRail

Thanks for the memories Fitz.
In 1980 I made a journey to Big Fork Minn. in my old pickup truck to meet Bill & his grandson-inlaw. That was a great honor to stand next to a real pioneer as he and Ray were building a bark canoe together.
I feel very fortunate to have had that opportunity.:cool:

Attachments

• Bill Hafeman' Canoe shop 1980.jpg
    Bill Hafeman' Canoe shop 1980.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 575
  • Bill Hafeman' Canoe shop 1980 001.jpg
    Bill Hafeman' Canoe shop 1980 001.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 604
  • Bill Hafeman' Canoe shop 1980 002.jpg
    Bill Hafeman' Canoe shop 1980 002.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 616
Love the sounds in this video-- especially the crisp sound of the bark peeling away from the tree.

Thanks for pointing this out, Fitz.

Kathy

Ditto. Thanks for sharing the link. I'd only been vaguely aware of Kuralt (grew up in Canada, and don't watch much TV -or YouTube for that matter)

What an awesome opportunity to have met the man, in his shop, while building a canoe!

A few things I learned from this video;
Harvesting the bark; only reach as high as you can while standing on the ground ie. don't need to fell the tree, nor climb a ladder. Of course, that gives you pieces you'll have to sew together, rather than only gore & stitch.
Build on a platform, and get in the canoe! Ergonomic improvements over building on the ground? I'm sure that's easier on the body as one ages.

Back