IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2290.JPG

I am helping a family repair what appears to be an older F.W. Brodbeck. The canoe is 18.5 ft x 32 inch beam. It has nice tumblehome. It is closed gunwale (most 'becks I have seen are fancy open gunwale), the ends of the rails extend beyond the stems ala Maine guide canoes, it has simple mahogany thwarts, and fine decks. It has a wide carry thwart.

Not that I can see. There could be something under the old varnish, but I couldn't decipher anything. Does you 'beck have a number?

This one has 5 new ribs now. Four of them needed very badly. Needs minimal planking. The father and daughter team cannot agree on the need for stripping. The varnish is rough. Dad is thinking he likes it that way. I can kind of agree in a Rat Rod frame of mind. It will be antiquee.

Cheers,

Fitz

The father and daughter team cannot agree on the need for stripping. The varnish is rough. Dad is thinking he likes it that way.

Is the daughter willing to do the stripping?

(Whoa, did I say that out loud? :eek: )

Yeah Gil, I agree. It is their baby though.

Fitz

Hey John,
Probably the nicest Brodbeck in my eyes I've seen. Whats up with the rear seat? Partially missing? All furniture is Mahogany? I can't click on your pics to make them larger. My old one is all chestnut and it's twin I have pics of do not have the carrying handle and lack numbers. Both 18'6". This makes 3 without serial numbers that I know of. That carrying thwart makes that one extra special. It also has the older deck tag. Extremely Gerrish like without the later fancier shaped seats and thwarts. The earlier canoes has brass seats spacers in the rear and later he used mushroom looking wooden spacers. I'd love it if you could send me the pics of this one as well in an email as well like the last one:). Really great canoe!

Back