Not sure how to proceed...

I would be tempted to paddle it for awhile. The tops of the ribs are very rough looking and troubling, but otherwise it is not bad at all.

I think everyone needs to figure out if they are a canoeist that works on their own boats,
Or a canoe restorer that paddles.

I think everyone needs to figure out if they are a canoeist that works on their own boats,
Or a canoe restorer that paddles.

ppne, I believe I am both

I took it for a float and somehow even with the ton of fiberglass it leaked. Not bad enough that I couldn't paddle it but it did have to be bailed every now and then.
for now I have moved it to the end of the line. I'll deal with it later.
Thanks for the input.
Norm

I have an idea for you Norm. The top of the ribs are unsightly and it would be a lot of work to scarf new ends on all of them.
Try mixing up some good epoxy and then add wood dust of the same species as the ribs to make a thick paste like peanut butter. Cover the ends of each rib.
After it sets up completely, sand it smooth with the gunwales. Use a file to clean up the sides.

I have used this method to smooth out beat up gunwales

Just keep your expectations low. I've filled damaged tops with epoxy butter, but the colors never matched.
Just say'un.

Damaged tops that are fixed with epoxy peanut butter look crappy to me. I’d say sand them smooth and live with lowered depth or scarf in new tips, even if it means doing every one.

Attachments

• 97CE4A74-D788-47C4-987D-8BAF0C6B912E.jpeg
    97CE4A74-D788-47C4-987D-8BAF0C6B912E.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 294
  • C8137E13-51DF-4157-8C1A-4560F5AA031E.jpeg
    C8137E13-51DF-4157-8C1A-4560F5AA031E.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 290
This is a shallow boat to begin with.
I would not sacrifice even more depth for the aesthetics.
The epoxy treatment works amazing well for restoring all kinds of things on wood canoes.
But I paddle first, and repair boats second.

ppine, The depth will be about 11-1/2" finished. Not the best but I think I can live with it for a pleasure canoe.

Back