Nice Lakes in Colorado

Russ Hoffman

Curious about Wooden Canoes
We have started taking our 1913 OTCA 18 on as many lakes as we can find. Any other suggestions will be welcome!

Our top 3 (so far):

Gravel Ponds, Chatfield State Park:
09840028.jpg14 Chatfield 11.jpg

Shadow Mountain Lake, near Granby:
Shadow Mtn 01.jpgShadow Mtn 04.jpg

Willow Creek Reservoir, near Granby:
DSCN3745.jpg

Attachments

• Shadow Mtn 18.jpg
    Shadow Mtn 18.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 443
The 18 foot O.T. makes for a great trip canoe for two... Plenty of space to pack the gear! Just wouldn't want a trip with many carries, they're a bit heavy... Love your pictures! Looks like you've discovered some great canoe spots already. I say -- The canoe deserves a 100 year BD party somewhere SPECIAL!

Yes, portage can be a challenge.
We try to stay at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. That date coincides within a week of the canoe's (Cedar Lady) 100th anniversary. I hope we can make it work this year for a dual celebration!

The Chatfield gravel pond, I canoe there often mostly during the week since I am retired. Hope to see you there.

I have a 1923 OTCA I'm starting to explore Colorado with. A few that are on my list for this summer are Barr Lake state park on 76 north of Denver (not sure on the water level but great Bald Eagle viewing), Bear creek State Park (fishing on the small lake), and one of my favorite places in all of Colorado, Gross Reservoir in Boulder is beautiful.

So far this year I've paddled a small stretch of the Colorado River near Moab and the North part of Lake Powell. Both were fantastic flat water paddling.

Dillon can be nice. I live in Silverthorne so am keeping an eye on it and paddled it once this year. It is low due to 2011-2012 lame amount of snow. They say it will get within 7 feet of full this year, it is adding water daily but end of June would be best. Put in on the Damn road day use area. Or camp right there in the campground. Have a cart.

I've done Shadow mountain, it is cool, Trappers Lake is the largest natual Lake in Colorado, The Flat Tops, I have never been there, heard is is nice, in a Wildness area so nothing with wheels can be used from the campground, long portage, there is a Lodge they say you can put in.

Grand Lake is a natural lake and because of that, law requires the water level can't fluctuate by more than a foot, it is connected to Shadow Mountain so maybe them to.

Many speed boats on Shadow mountain, Trappers and Willow moters aren't allowed.

I have always wanted to go into the Tetons with one of mine, remote campsites on a few lakes.

Last edited:
Back