New (to Me) Bobs Special! Looking For A Few Tips.

Robb Indy

Hi everyone, I've recently added a new (to me) Bobs Special to my fleet. This is my first vintage canoe, but not my first wood and canvas canoe. (I also have a 2006 Fletcher "Paul Mason Heavy Duty" - a beautiful craft, but overkill for a lot of what we do!)

I got the Bobs Special from its original owner. He bought it from an outdoors/outfitter type shop in 1973. Serial number is 12188 (but I gather there isn't much information to be gained about Chestnuts from their serial numbers). He says it was re-canvassed/refinished and had one rib replaced in 2000 and that it hasn't been used since.

Seems like it *mostly* shows evidence of only very light use (said every newby ever?), but I have a few questions.

Age? Again, the seller says he bought it in 1973, but maybe it sat in stock (mom & pop sporting goods store) for some years? Screws are all slotted, not squared holed - I would guess they got changed out when the canoe was re-canvassed and that they aren't evidence of greater age?

Second, any recommendations on smoothing the paint on the canvas? It's sturdy, but not pretty. Should I just hope adding more coats will do, or do I need to refill the canvas better first?

Finally, it's got one cracked inwale :( right where it meets the deck. Looks to predate the 2000 re-canvas (i.e. lots of varnish in the crack). Slight sheer line distortion, but only if you look. Should I sister a reinforcement in under the inwale or just wait until next redo?

Tx
IMG_5449.jpg
IMG_5503.jpg
IMG_5455 2.jpg
IMG_5449.jpg
canvasing? I figure a Bobs Special isn't a canoe for heavy use.

Thanks!

Hi Robb,

Welcome to the Bobs Special club! Nice catch.
I too have a Bob's Special, mines was purchased in 1970, S/n 12286. As you noted, not sure whether that means much in times of date of construction, but if sequential- yours is older than mine and perhaps older than 1970.

My hardware is Robertson head so I'm assuming the slot screws are post re-canvassing but you know what they say about assuming...

With respect to the finish-wow! thats a pebbly mess! You could sand the whole thing down to remove the pebble taking care not to get down to the canvas, and then simply add another top coat. The canvas on mine is still original but i patched a number of cracks, then primed and gave it a fresh coat of paint. That really worked.

With respect to your inwale- that looks more problematic- especially the location at the deck . Its hard to tell how deep that crack is- does it go right through to the other side? My thinking is that you'd want to reinforce that at least and repair/replace when you do your next re-do. Others my know better, and hopefully chime in. Lots of very knowledgeable/talented folks on this site.

Your last comment " a Bobs Special isn't for heavy use" caught me. The Bob's is my favourite to paddle. And while it won't hold as much as my Prospector, the Bobs Special is a great tripping canoe solo or lightly loaded tandem. And a lot easier to portage than my Chestnut.

Bobs rails, like the ribs and planking tend to be quite thin, looks like it was dropped on the spot that broke given the compression above it. The outwales provide additional support so I’d leave it. Next time it’s apart spline it after removing the rib nails to get it back in shape the refasten it. Search spline on the forums, steve lapey posted about his setup. The finish looks like it was never sanded and looks a lot like an epoxy filled canvas before it’s sanded. Sand into a small area on the bottom to determine what the filler is composed of and if its stable I’d sand the boat and repaint.

Thanks for the tips. And I hope no offense was taken re my comments about whether the Bobs should be subjected to heavy use. The point about whether epoxy was used to fill the canvas is a good one. Sure hope not. :(

Took it out for a quickie first paddle today - a nice little canoe. And the best part of paddling is that I don't see the bumpy canvas paint job from the inside!

Attachments

• IMG_5521 3.jpg
    IMG_5521 3.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 246
Dont fear an epoxy filled canvas. Its not the same a fiberglass, and if done properly doesnt adhere to the hull. Could be they just didnt sand the filler, though it usually is smoother than that after its applied. Ive filled many canvas jobs with epoxy, ultimately its more durable and done properly not detectable.

Back