Needs Bark Canoe For First Nations Display....Willing To Rent

WoodNCanvas

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I got a query from Tamara Rain Bull looking to rent a bark canoe....she had seen my blog post on Ray Mears building a bark canoe, http://reflectionsoutdoors.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/birch-bark-canoe-building-with-ray-mears/ ....apparently she's involved with planning a First Nations event in Toronto, Ontario (don't have specific dates) and needs a bark canoe for display for 3 days....and is willing to rent.....thought somebody here might be able to help....Tamara has done shows for APTN such as Creative Native and had a native art gallery in Toronto at one time....here's contact info:

Tamara Rain Bull
tamara123@shaw.ca
www.tamarabull.com
www.cedarrootproductions.com
Direct Line: (604) 862-6656 Fax: (604) 986-9711

BTW, I've sent on info already to Canadian Canoe Museum and closest builder to Toronto I know of: Michel Labelle or Mahigan (who was recently featured in a post here on WCHA). Any way, I hope Tamara finds a bark canoe for her display. I think it’s cool that a First Nations person is searching for a very First Nations craft for a First Nations event in Toronto….but then Toronto comes from a Native word meaning “meeting place”….and nothing is more appropriate to me than a canoe when it comes to the meeting of First Nations and other nations of the world….the First Nations “gifted” the canoe to the world after all….and it has been embraced by people around Mother Earth since….interesting that a Native teaching on the Medicine Wheel speaks of the four sacred colours….or the four races of man….black, red, white and yellow…..and these colours are placed in the circle where thay all meet in the middle….like all the races should learn to meet in the middle….and Native teachings also say that it is the responsibility of the First Nations to teach all of the other races, especially about Mother Earth (and how to care for her)….maybe the canoe is one of the teaching tools to all of this….the canoe after all takes to the wild places….no matter what colour or race we may be. Maybe we can all one day be in the same canoe….another Native saying states we can’t have one foot on shore and the other in the canoe or we may fall in.

Paddles up unil later then….and here’s to meeting in the middle….just remember to watch out for the thwarts LOL LOL. Meegwetch.

Last edited:
Back