need help with serial #

Brian Gauthier

Hello. Just bought a lovely looking canoe. It has a serial # but can't seem to identify which company made the canoe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Serial # is 9907 50
Thanks
Brian

Sounds interesting... The last two digits of a serial number formatted this way usually refer to length. So 50'... now that's a BIG canoe! Of course it could be a different style of serial number, or maybe it's just a diffiicult number to read. If you post photos of the canoe including its serial number and other features (decks, seats, thwarts), this will go a long way toward identification. And what is the measured length of the canoe?

Michael

Thanks. Yes I will post some pictures. The numbers are easy to read so it is in deed a 50. I though perhaps batch number?
I have reason to believe the canoe is form Ontario. It looks to me as though the seats, thwarts and possibly the decks are newer and have been repaired.Not sure if they were kept to original form. My best guess from looking at the serial number catalogue was that it could be a carlton canoe as there is numbering between 9000 and 10000. Most do seem to use that 2nd number for length though. Its a 16ft canoe.
Brian

Hi Brian - When I said those two digits usually refer to length, I was referring to some of the larger U.S. makers, but based upon the number and your location I wondered if it might be a Canadian manufacturer. It's unlikely to be a Carleton with that "50". In any case, welcome to the WCHA! You've found the right place for information and enthusiasm. Michael

Most likely a Canadian Canoe Company model 50, both of mine are stamped similarly. Like Peterboroughs, the 4 digits are of no significance.

Looks Canadian. Definitely not Carleton. Others (like Andre) who know Canadian cedar-canvas canoes much better than I do will come along soon to help with ID . Best of luck, and enjoy paddling your new find. Michael

Yup it's a 50. Later one with hardwood rails rather than spruce, and the seats have been changed for woven cane likely when the fixed the rail tips and put the wider decks in.

Yeeha Thanks for helping with the mystery Folks. Good save Andre on that canoe. Looks like a good project.
I was looking for a good stable lake boat as we now have a little one and the 50 seems to fit the bill, Paddles so nice. I was Paddling an old fixed up canoe from the boys camp on lake Nominingue in Quebec.But too tippy for the family.

Last edited:
Back