N.B. Morris serial number 15224

Wayne Mowery

Canoe Restorations
Are there any records about this canoe (serial number 15224 on a brass plate)? When it was made? This one was constructed with the ribs hidden by the inside gunnels where they were imbedded in notches and the rail capped. There was a 1/4 inch thick strip serving as the outside rub rail (no real gunnels). Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20130818_173658_529.jpg
    IMG_20130818_173658_529.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 361
The construction details you describe are typical of Morris canoes – an inwale with pockets for the rib ends, a cap rail covering the inwale and outwale, andc ommonly, a narrow outwale.

The dating of Morris canoes has been the topic of much speculation, discussion, and considerable recent research. The discovery in the last few years of a very few documents with both a date and a serial number seems to confirm an dating schedule showing approximate dates -- see http://forums.wcha.org/knowledgebase/Manufacturers:B+N+Morris+Canoe+Company
Which indicates that your canoe was likely built in 1917.

There you will find other basic information about Morris canoes and the Morris company; other information can be gleaned from the Morris company catalogues, many of which have been scanned and are available on a set of CDs available through the WCHA online bookstore. The catalogues show not only pictures of various models, but give dimensions and show details of construction such as decks, thwarts and thwart placement, and gunwale options – see http://store.wcha.org/The-Historic-...pany-Catalog-Collection-Version-2-CD-ROM.html.

Last edited:
This serial number is new to our Morris database. I've logged it in, but if you can give me more details that helps our research. Pictures are wonderful. Length, style of deck, presence of things like pennant holders, decal (and wording on decal), painter-rings, etc., are also helpful. The links Greg provided explain the Morris research project and provide links to videos and such.

The 2015 WCHA National Assembly will feature the Morris. I have promised to have current Morris research pulled-together by then, in book form. The more I say that, the more "real" it gets...

Thanks!
Kathy

The canoe is 16ft long, has a keel, two thwarts, two seats, outside stems with brass stem bands, and has very unique seat bolts. These are brass with the head cut off and the shank bent 90 degrees then sunk into the inwhales. I guess they are original because I see no other indentations from prior bolt heads. Each deck has a hole for a flag pole. This is in very bad shape but is very restorable. Decks, seat frames, and thwarts are mahogany. Let me know if I can glean any other needed information. Thanks.

Those "L" shaped bolts are standard for Morris -- used on the thwarts, too; they were hidden by the cap rail covering the gunwales, and being sunk into the wood, didn't turn when loosening the wing nut.

sm L bolt.JPG sm wing nut.JPG sm bolt top cropped 100_2762.JPG

Greg

Could be just the angle of the picture but it looks longer than 16 feet. I like to mention that a Morris may have another foot in the curve of the stems, so we measure by imagining a board placed up against each end (90 degrees from the ground) and measuring between-- not measuring tip-to-tip. Sorry if you measured the way I suggest and are groaning... just need to be sure.

A 17 or 18 foot Morris will often have signs of having-had a center thwart on wing-nuts.

There are pictures in these forums of Morris floorboards, if you want to replicate that sometime... I see the toggle in the second picture from the right... they are made from stem-band.

Everything looks good-- and you are right about the canoe being very restartable, with work. The outside stems are a plus-- that cost more originally and always sets off the color of the canoe-- you can keep it natural and keep the keel natural ("mahogany color") if you like-- but the keel was most-often painted and the OSS could have been as well.

The L-shaped hanger-bolts for seats and thwarts are standard Morris issue.

Your canoe has the curved deck which is first seen around 1912-ish-- it's what Morris went to, gradually, and it completely replaced the heart shape for the last three years or so of Morris production.

The holes in the decks may have held a diamond-shaped nickel-plated pennant holder. Sometimes they are available on eBay and I think Ross Bros makes a reproduction, if you want to look at that. There are reproduction Morris decals available in the WCHA store if you're interested. Your canoe would take the last version-- the one with "motor" in it-- the post-1913 (or so) decal.

Thanks much for the input on your find. We love progress-reports-- pictures-- and especially love launchings!

Kathy

The canoe was measured as you suggested and it is 16ft long. There are no holes in the gunnels for a center thwart. Also there is no indication there was a diamond-shaped nickel-plated pennant holder for a flag pole. Looks like they used these for bow/stern line attachments. Thanks. Wayne

Thanks for this information, Wayne-- it helps a lot. Every canoe contributes information that helps us understand these canoes better.

Making rib pockets for my Morris canoe

Gunnels have been repaired. Attached are pictures of my making the rib pockets. Just used a 1 -1/2 hold drill with a piece of wood next to each cut. Piece of cake.

Attachments

• IMG_20130902_101603_022.jpg
    IMG_20130902_101603_022.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20130902_101451_976.jpg
    IMG_20130902_101451_976.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 315
Kathy, I restore and sell them. Never really done much canoeing in North Carolina. Except when I lived in Delaware Valley PA and belonged to All Bratton's group. I just posted it for sale. Thanks.

Back