Mystery Canoe

Bonagee

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm hoping someone out there can help me with identification on a canoe that does not seem to fit any of the canoes or postings that are readily available. If you look at the attached photos, the deck is reminiscent of Old Town, but not quite. The bolt heads for thwarts and seats are a very unique flat style that is inset in the inwale. The planking appears to be western red cedar. And the stem is wrapped with a brass V-shaped piece. No serial numbers at all. Thoughts?
20190714_101218.jpg
20190714_101356.jpg
20190714_101143.jpg
20190714_101201.jpg
20190714_101258.jpg
20190714_101308.jpg
20190714_101325.jpg

Your canoe appears to be a E.M White. I am not familiar with this model of the canoe. Seems to be a fancy model with mahogany trim and the re-curved stems. The decks are of White, the bang plates, and the planking seems very tight. Is it lapped in his style? The seat bolts appear to be copper rivets and washers found on very early wood/canvas canoes. These can be made different lengths and the heads will have to be drilled to remove. They are not original. The seats and thwarts don't appear to be original. They should be mahogany as well like the decks. The thwarts look like OT replacements. White placed tags on the decks of the canoes, any pictures of nail holes in the deck not pictured up close?

Reactions: MGC
A couple of things suggest Thompson, but not really. The inwales meet at the stem like Thompson.....not like typical White’s
The deck looks like Thompson, but without the ogee millwork on the underside.
The planking pattern looks Almost like Thompson...but isn’t quite like it.
The outer stem covering, brass I’m assuming, does look like White Canoe.
The outer gunwales are un rabbeted, nailed, and flush with the planking. Could have been replaced like this I suppose.

Thanks so much for the ideas so far. I looked for further at the canoe. The seat bolts are threaded on the bottom. Yes, they appear to be copper rod. The deck is mahogany, but no nail holes at all in the surface. The deck is a bit proud of the inwale. The planking is beveled on the ends, but not lapped at the seams. Yes, the stem coverings are brass. The gunwales seem to be spruce. Any further thoughts are appreciated!

Interesting it has EM characteristics, particularly with the seat bolts being copper. I have an EM Sportsman with an original oak keelson that was riveted with hand made copper rivets. The flat head was about 3/8" in diameter with a shaft about some 7/16" . They were set very deeply into the keel , oak bunged and secured inside over the keelson with a copper washer and securely peened. They were set so deeeply that all of them had to be restored with added length, but that is another story. Your discovery is the first I have come across of the substantial copper fastener. and in a boat that could ne an EM. I would love to see the heads when you get to the resto. Have fun....TMI, I know.

Back