Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Mystery Canoe

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Fitz, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I would like to know if anybody has additional information on this maker. It is a heavily built Quebec canoe, much like the Hurons, Bastien Brothers, Picard etc. It is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. 15 inches deep, 37 inch beam, no seats, some planking is nearly 6 inches wide, half ribs, half inch wide brass stem bands, and maple thwarts. It was reportedly built in the early 1920's or so the story goes. It has a deck decal, but I can't make much out of it. I think the canoe name may be, "Le Chibougamoo", manufactured by "Galarneau & Morin Percival"? I do believe there is a lake in Canada by the name of Chibougamoo.

I have not been able to find any info. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Fitz.

Attached Files:

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

3. OP
    OP
    Fitz

Ah, come on fella! This canoe is a fine example of Canadian craftsmanship and utilitarian form!

It has a little rocker and I bet it can carry a huge load. I am anxious to see how this BHC paddles. I am not that thrilled to carry it.

4. shelldrake

shelldrake LOVES Wooden Canoes

I like it Fitz.

Put a motor on it, load it up and go somewhere!

Matt

5. bluedcanoed

bluedcanoed LOVES Wooden Canoes

Made in Roberval, PQ on the shores of Lac St. Jean. Nice lines - sized for moose hunting.

6. Murat V

Murat V LOVES Wooden Canoes

7. OP
    OP
    Fitz

Many Thanks to bluedcanoed and Murat V! I should have mentioned that the length is only 16 feet, so it is a manageable canoe. I also think it has decent lines for a load carrier! Thank you for the winter reading. The canoes in the photos seem to show a similar stem profile, but appear to have much larger decks.

Cheers,

Fitz.

8. pcherna

pcherna Curious about Wooden Canoes

Hi Fitz! Do you still have this canoe? Galarneau and Morin were canoe makers in Roberval Quebec. My mother-in-law's parents were Morin, and Galarneau of the same clans. They will be so thrilled to hear that one of the canoes survives! I have a photo of a print ad from them somewhere...

9. pcherna

The 16-footer was only $59 in 1923...!

10. pcherna

I would love a high resolution photo of the deck decal...

11. pcherna

12. OP
    OP
    Fitz

Pcherna:

I restored this canoe for a friend a couple of years ago. I did not find any resemblance of what was left for a decal at the time, so I didn’t reproduce it. I am traveling today, but I will see if I have some photos of the finished canoe.

Cheers,

Fitz

13. pcherna

Hi Fitz, did you get to look for photos of the restoration? Thanks!

14. Evan Searle

Evan Searle New Member

Hi, I came across this forum during an online search. I purchased a canoe from my friends father who collected wood canoes. It is a genuine 1920's Galarneau and Morin. The decals are aged but all there and are legible. This canoe seems to be rare and very collectible. I would like to find a good home for it, someone that cab appreciate and preserve its history.

15. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Evan,
    Lac Chibougamau is in "northern" (relative to population) Quebec.
    I would be very interested to see photos of details of construction.

16. Evan Searle

Evan Searle New Member

Hi Rob,
    Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think. Thanks. 20211016_133328.jpg 20211016_133316.jpg 20211016_133303.jpg 20211016_133249.jpg 20211016_133233.jpg 20211016_133218.jpg 20211016_133339.jpg 20211016_133354.jpg