Mystery canoe - pictures to follow

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Yesterday I picked up a 16’ canoe which has been given me. The owner bought it some time ago. It was in a bit of a state and he has started on repairs. He thought it was a chestnut of some sort, but I’m not sure. Because of the regularity of ribs and planking it looks professionally made.

The decks it had are now gone having been replaced with chestnut heart shaped decks. I need to find out if they are copies of the originals. There are no identification numbers anywhere that I could see.

I can’t give much detail at present but tomorrow I will go out with camera and tape measure so I can give some detail.

The main feature that I noticed was that it appears to have a definite torpedo shape stern stem but a more ordinary re-curved shape at the bow. Whatever it is, it will be a handsome boat when back on the water.

Sam

The canoe is 16’ 9 ½” long overall. It has a width of 36” at maximum tumblehome and between the gunnels at that point is 32” and 13 ¼” deep from the top of the gunnels to the top of the rib.

After a closer look, I’m now not sure it was professionally made.

As mentioned, the stems are noticeably different – the stern being torpedo shape and the bow having a more normal re-curve.

The canoe is 16’ 9 ½” long overall. It has a width of 36” at maximum tumblehome and between the gunnels at that point is 32” wide and 13 ¼” deep from the top of the gunnels to the top of the rib.

Inwhales and outwhales are ash. Screws are slotted.

It had a keel screwed at every rib.

The ribs are made from 2” x 3/8”. They have chamfered sides and are somewhat variable in taper down to mostly about 1 ½”. They are spaced at a fairly consistent 1 ½”. The end two ribs are notched to accommodate the inwhales and outwhales meeting.

Planking is 3/16” thick and varies from 3 ½” on the widest plank. The gores are cut differently on each quarter

There are 3 thwarts. The two main ones are ?maple made from 2” x ¾”. These look too flimsy for the boat. The smaller thwart is made from ?cherry at 1 ¾” x ¾” and looks more original. The blots are steel.

Seats are made from 1 5/8” x 7/8” and drilled for caning.

DSC03932.JPG DSC03933.JPG DSC03935.JPG DSC03940.JPG DSC03942.JPG DSC03943.JPG DSC03948.JPG DSC03951.JPG DSC03955.JPG DSC03956.JPG

well, thats no chestnut and it has some of the strangest planking patterns ive seen but beyond that, cant offer who might have built it.

well, thats no chestnut and it has some of the strangest planking patterns ive seen but beyond that, cant offer who might have built it.
That's just what I thought Andre. I still think it will a good looking boat when done, but it hasn't moved further up the list of boats to do.

Anyone else with an opinion?

Sam

Does the strange planking look like someone made one canoe out of two broken ones (which might explain the different stem curves)?

Benson

Thanks Benson - I hadn't thought of that.
The two stems are very similar (except in shape of the curve) in varnish, patina, material, dimensions and detail at the end. None of the planking is full length, although more shorter pieces are used at the torpedo end. If it was two boats cut-and-shut it is a very good job as there are no bumps or hollows and the ribs all match perfectly. Perhaps it was a Friday afternoon job at the factory and there is another identical boat out there waiting to be discovered.
Sam

Each rib is double tacked, i.e. a tack at each edge. It seems overkill for such narrow planking. I believe that I have seen this pattern before, but not sure which manufacturer.

It does have an abundance of tacks! However I still think probably home made because of the totally different stem profiles and the fact that each quarter has a different planking pattern.
Must say I am rather pleased with it. Just wish it was a bit lighter.
Sam

Back