My new barge

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Okay Fitz, since you like those big canoes so much, I need some sympathy. Just bought this 18' tremblay, I think we could put a woodstove in this one. Should swallow 3 kids and gear no problem; but wouldnt double lateens be something on it!:eek::cool:

Attachments

• CIMG9366.JPG
    CIMG9366.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 523
  • CIMG9371.JPG
    CIMG9371.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 590
Big Canoes

That's not a very big canoe, Andre.

Try this 20' Old Town Guide on for size someday.

We call it "The Moose Hauler"

It makes my red trip canoe look like a toy.

Attachments

• Lou's 20 footoer at tully.jpg
    Lou's 20 footoer at tully.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 572
The Hog Backed Mighty Huron

Funny you should bring up big canoes. I started work again in earnest on the 20 Foot Hog Backed Mighty Huron. My wife is sick of it taking up acreage, so it has to go soon.

Steve, you're right! It just had such depth and beam to it, since they have no tumblehome. Fitz, I think you should market 10' bookcases to upscale clientele who have cathedral ceilings and too much money:D

my new 18'

Not like a 20', but 18' is still pretty BIG...only for those who know what they're getting into...1925 AA with half ribs. Not much woodwork required and should be nice when done. comfortable fit for the whole family.

Attachments

• DSC03207.jpg
    DSC03207.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC03210.jpg
    DSC03210.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 455
  • DSC03211.jpg
    DSC03211.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC03209.jpg
    DSC03209.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC03213.jpg
    DSC03213.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC03212.jpg
    DSC03212.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 484
Nice canoe Ken, looks like good project.

As for what is a large canoe, I must be corrupted. Without counting, I would guess that at least 1/2 my canoes/projects are 18 ft'ers, and for a big guy, they seem about the right size. My 16 ft'ers I consider solo canoes.

Now 20 ft'ers and longer, now we're talked big canoes.

I've passed a several 20 ft Guides just cause they were so large,
and last year the MCA had a 22 or 24 ft Ogelvy that they were trying to find a new home for, that was a LARGE canoe, in both length, beam and depth.

Dan

How could we forget the 26 foot Ogilvy that Scott Barkdoll brought to last year's Assembly. Thats BIG!!!!

Attachments

• Ogilvy - 26 foot.jpg
    Ogilvy - 26 foot.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 506
you're right

You are all right. 20' + should be an accurate definition for Barge.
18' are only BIG when I'm trying to sell one.

Great Lines

I dunno, I have lots of time in the moaning chair over this 20 foot Huron. A small part of me says, "Gee, this canoe has great lines!".

But I am not sure I will ever get it fair again (if it ever was) and moving the thing is a job.

It moved a big family once in the western Maine woods, so it is only proper that it gets to haul the resulting grandkids again I suppose.

Fitz.

Maybe some of you can advice on the technique getting a big canoe to the car top alone. I have a 20' guide - a great stable platform that my wife loves to take photos from (compared to doing it from the prospector). The part that I don't have fun with it is getting it on my shoulder at the end of the trip. No longer forty something, I am concerned someday it is going to crush my skinny Asian frame.:confused:

Jen

Have someone help you... every time!

Other option would be a trailer, which does require more storage space, but makes launching & transporting much easier.

Get a copy of WoodenBoat's Small Boats 2008, there is a great article on a home built cartop rack that allows one person to get a canoe/boat up on it. Just the ticket for a big canoe.

Not to be contrary but, how do you get it from the car to the water?

And a bit of thinking out loud,

the whole point of using a canoe is to have the quiet and mobility of carrying it from lake to lake, it would seem that using a larger canoe that couldn't be handled by the paddliers defeats the purpose. If you have to use a trailer for example, you might as well use a larger fishing boat.

And yes, I've passed on 20 ft and larger canoes just cause I can't handle them. (And some days, say after a long day on the water, I need help getting the 17 and 18 ft'ers up.)

Dan

Not to be contrary but, how do you get it from the car to the water?
onto a dolly would work fine

the whole point of using a canoe is to have the quiet and mobility of carrying it from lake to lake, it would seem that using a larger canoe that couldn't be handled by the paddliers defeats the purpose. If you have to use a trailer for example, you might as well use a larger fishing boat.

Oh, i dont know...we use dollies for our big sailing canoes that weigh 150lb, and I used to take my freighter and 4hp to big water; I guess i mean that not every trip for us involved portages or carries. After some long days I need help getting myself up, never mind the boat;)

Thanks for the suggestion on using trailer, cart, or a helping hand for loading and unloading - I may need it very soon.

My issue is getting it out of the water to my shoulder, the remaining part of the loading does not bother me for now. Years ago, I saw Garrett Conover handled a White 20 as easy as flipping a 15-pound canoe to his shoulder, but we know he earned a living by doing that. I am just curious how those canoeists (not guide) who take the 20' in a canoe trip do it.

I should have passed on the Guide 20, but the price - $850 - for such an excellent condition wood canoe was irrrresistable. Besides, the two little whites need on-board race tracks.:)

Jen

Attachments

• Guide20_2.jpg
    Guide20_2.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 481
Well, I don't know how Garrett does it, but I do know how it's done in the BW/Q.

And when I was in a bit better shape, I could/can throw our 92lb Seliga up with little trouble.

I'm sure there are better sources of instruction but, the key is to lift the near gunwale up to your hip, and hold the canoe by the yoke, then swing your hip and let your legs swing the canoe up, your arms just guide it, hopefully to land on your shoulders. :)

As for the car racks, I let mine run out past the car, and place the bow on the front and then left the rear up onto the rear rack. Easy to do once the canoe is on your shoulders, and if the racks aren't too high..

BTW, carts/dollies are not legal in most places in the BW/Q.

Dan

Any info please?

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone tell me anything about the ogilvy pictured in post#7?

I have a close relative of that boat undergoing surgery at present.

DSC01747.jpgDSC01722.jpg

Thanks
Sam

Back