Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

My first build - E.M.White 1920 model

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by jva74, May 3, 2019.

1. jva74

jva74 Curious about Wooden Canoes

Hello all,

here's my first w&c canoe built by books and internet wisdom. Plans are from Alex, model "Emily" down scaled to 16 ft copy of 1920s E.M.White model. Wood is red cedar combined with ash inwales, cherry outwales and furniture and walnut decks. On top 4 coats of marine varnish and Epifanes teal green on canvas #10. Hand canned seats. Took me six months exactly.

Next week will show if she floats. See you on Danube sometimes!

Juraj

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

Wow, this is your first build? Very nice work! Well executed work and a beautiful product. Have you had it out on the water yet? You may not get to do much paddling because of all the excited conversations you'll have. Congratulations on a very nice job, Juraj.

Michael

John J. Connell likes this.
  3. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Nice piece of work, indeed! Pictures on the water would be very welcome!

4. OP
    OP
    jva74

Thanks! It has been an awful weather here recently and I still did not figure out, how to get Emily out from the 2nd floor building... In the meantime, I copied Thule canoe carrier rack pieces for safe transportation.

There seems to be a weather window on Saturday like it was for Normandy landing so we'll see!

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    jva74

She floats! No leaks, paint blistering or rot observed so far ;) my first time in wooden canoe. Yes!!

Attached Files:

John J. Connell likes this.
  6. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

Outstanding! The canoe looks great on the water with happy people in it. That's a very nice paddle - tell us more about it.
    ...and nice t-shirt too!

7. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

Yes. Lets see that paddle

8. OP
    OP
    jva74

Yes it all started with cherry beavertail, as a supplement to my woodland Indian reenactment. Then I bought used fiberglass 17-footer and made some more paddles, because there are so many shapes and types of wood /thanks Murat for your webpage/. After watching Bill Mason films, I got the wood&canvas canoe fever :D

I recorded the building process in a photo album, so have a look and enjoy.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/qjmrwfnPzMX25aCq5

Attached Files:

9. John J. Connell

John J. Connell Curious about Wooden Canoes

We had our E.M.White seats re-canned years ago at the Baxter School for the blind near Falmouth Maine -wonderful job.

10. JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoe Maniac

Juraj ,
    Beautiful job on both the canoe and the paddles. Bravo!

Jim