Morris completed

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Just finished a 16' Morris Model A Type 1. There's no ID tag, but when I picked it up 3 years ago the WCHA gurus thought it dated from 1906 or so (due to having 3 cant ribs if I recall correctly). Weighs only 66#. Color is Epifane's Turkish Blue. Note: I used 1-1/4" 4-40 flat head screws to attach the stem bands instead of rivets. Not to spec, but a whole lot cheaper and very effective . I also dropped down the front seat to improve stability - I added removable strips of wood at the ends of the seat so that it's held firmly in place between the ribs. The brass plates on both decks seem to be original. I cut up a Morris decal and managed to fit 'B.N.Morris' just above the brass on the front deck. Hey - why not.
IMG_5277.jpg IMG_5275.jpg IMG_5277.jpg IMG_5280.jpg IMG_5278.jpg IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5291.jpg

Last edited:
Dave: So yeah yeah I read your comment and I went on with what I was doing. But you struck a nerve, so an hour or two later I looked up the pics I took when I picked up the canoe, and you're right; they used blade type flat heads. So now I have to sort through my screw stash to see if I can find the originals. Damn you!
20181016_111045.jpg

Howie, nice job. There is an old story about a man, his son and a donkey walking to town. It is likely to be on the internet somewhere.

Back