Morris Canoe Seat Caning Pattern

Greg Nolan

enthusiast
Does anyone out there have a Morris Canoe that they are sure has the original caning on the seat? If so, would you tell me what the caning pattern is (or even, perhaps, provide a close-up picture)? Kathy Klos and Dan Miller are both pretty sure that Morris used the standard "7-step" or octagonal weave, but are not completely certain.

When I got my 18 foot Morris, the seat were woven in the octagonal pattern, but I'm pretty sure that it was not the original weaving -- the "cane" was plastic. Aside from not much liking the plastic, I removed the stuff because I must repair one of the seat frame pieces which has split part-way along the row of cane holes. As long as I'm reweaving, I'd like to replicate the original pattern if I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Greg,

I think that one of mine still has original cane in both seats. I'll check to be sure after I get home later tonight, and reply again.

Michael

Sorry for double posting, but couldn't see how to add a photo in "edit" mode.

Found a photo on my office computer- not high res, but it looks like standard pattern. Still, will check the canoe later and try to get a better pic.

Attachments

• Morris_A64_sternseat.jpg
    Morris_A64_sternseat.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 565
Greg,

Here are some photos of cane pattern from a Morris in original canvas (I pulled a bit of outwale cap and canvas to see that the canoe has never been re-canvassed). These aren't the best snaps- not high-resolution, and canoe was on rack in a tight space- but they show what needs to be shown.

Because of the original canvas, the very long five-generational history in same family, and the general condition (nothing looks altered including decal, varnish...), the cane has a high likelihood of being original. Pattern is standard with fully woven verticals and horizontals.

Michael

Attachments

• Grace_Morris_A64_cane1.JPG
    Grace_Morris_A64_cane1.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 572
  • Grace_Morris_A64_cane2.JPG
    Grace_Morris_A64_cane2.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 563
Michael and Gil --

Thanks for the photos and feedback -- seven step pattern (with woven 4th step) it is!

Greg

Back