Moccasins

SWEETWATER

LOVES Wooden Canoes
anybody use moccasins in the canoe like the double soled canoe moc.'s .if not what is your prefered canoeing footware?

I used to. We used to sell these really heavy-duty elk-hide mocs made by Walter Dyer. I made a couple of week long trips in Quetico using them over a heavy wool ragg sock and they actually worked pretty well, even when wading-in to launch or land at portage heads. The wool sock drained water fast and was reasonably comfortable when wet. You did have to be careful on slippery portages though with smooth leather soles. For all-day paddling, they were comfortable and flexible if you wanted to occasionally change from sitting to kneeling for a change of pace. Before the Dyer Mocs, I used a Canadian-made, Palmer-Maclellan Moccasin Pack Shoe which I bought about 1969-1970 from Moor & Mountain. Same sort of deal, but a bit lighter leather and a boot top. Still have them, though these days, I'm more likely to be paddling in either Topsiders or LL Bean rubber-bottomed boots for aa bit more traction and support.

Attachments

• 004a.jpg
    004a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 578
My footwear depends on weather & location. This time of year, I'm in knee-high mukluks. The current pair is getting worn & leaky; if anyone has a favorite brand, I'm all ears.

For warmer weather, on the river, I won't wear anything less than high-top (over the ankle) neoprene booties, with treads on the soles. This is because my river is pretty muddy, and the mud can suck lesser shoes right off your feet. There's also enough sharp debris to cause concern, like rusted car parts, broken glass, etc, which usually causes enough damage to the booties to warrant replacement every couple years. Matter of fact, it's about time...

In warmer weather, on lakes, I'm usually barefoot. Sometimes I'll wear sandals.

For general warm weather canoeing, I usually wear water sneakers, an earlier model of Salomon water sneakers:

boot 1.jpg The only problem with these is that they get quite smelly after a couple of uses, especially if I’ve been in mud. A soaking with an oxygen bleach cures that problem easily enough.

Sometimes I just wear regular sneakers, usually old sneakers -- no harm if they get wet -- or sometimes go bare foot.

On a week long fall trip a few years ago, when it was a bit cool, I wore double sole moccasins from LL Bean:

boot 2.jpg when in the canoe and when at camp.

To get in and out of the canoes, I slipped on a pair of Tingley rubber boots (aka galoshes):

boot 3.jpg over the moccasins, and usually took the boots off in the canoe, thus keeping my feet and moccasins dry (one rainy, foggy day kept the boots on, and kept my feet warm and dry. These boots are fairly light-weight, though a bit heavier and stronger than Totes, and came recommended by Garrett and Alexandra Conover. I have used them a number of times since, with or without socks, as the weather called for -- fall or winter. The one’s I use are 10” high; they come higher. And they also work with sneakers.

And sometimes in cold weather, I just wear heavy-duty high rubber work boots with heavy socks:

sm cr 100_4522.JPG

The double-soled moccasins are the most comfortable, if you take the trouble to keep them dry -- not always possible.

I have a pair of moccasins that I bought years ago on line. They are double soled hand made moose hide if I remember correctly.

405378643.jpg

As much as I liked them, they are very slippery, way to slippery to wear if your anywhere near wet rocks or grass. I tried wrapping some leather around the bottom up over the laces in an X pattern, but that wasn't much help. I never wear them anymore.

I mostly wear LLBean boots, rubber bottom and leather uppers when on a trip. They leak around the stitches where the leather meets the rubber after a while, but they dry out fast and offer good support.

thanks i might get a apir for the summer and the ll bean boots for cooler weather. there is a place in mass. that makes nice moccasins

I used to. We used to sell these really heavy-duty elk-hide mocs made by Walter Dyer. I made a couple of week long trips in Quetico using them over a heavy wool ragg sock and they actually worked pretty well, even when wading-in to launch or land at portage heads. The wool sock drained water fast and was reasonably comfortable when wet. You did have to be careful on slippery portages though with smooth leather soles. For all-day paddling, they were comfortable and flexible if you wanted to occasionally change from sitting to kneeling for a change of pace. Before the Dyer Mocs, I used a Canadian-made, Palmer-Maclellan Moccasin Pack Shoe which I bought about 1969-1970 from Moor & Mountain. Same sort of deal, but a bit lighter leather and a boot top. Still have them, though these days, I'm more likely to be paddling in either Topsiders or LL Bean rubber-bottomed boots for aa bit more traction and support.

those are the type i am looking to get, maybe a little shorter

Moor and Mountaion

Moor and Mountain was the place in Andover where Ed Haynes worked. Closed now. Things come around in circles

I like the water shoes / sneakers mentioned. I think I got them at Koles about 5 years ago and have used them on lots of trips and portages. THEY ARE VERY ADJUSTABLE AND GIVE SOME SUPPORT .
if it is colder I use wool socks and if colder i use two pairs of wool socks with " bread bags between . Sometimes I break down and use my wetsuit booties inside the water shoes.

Then if it is really cold ( Like November / dec. i break down and use LL Bean Boots ( The rubber bottom , leather upper with inserts. ).

I do have the booties which I use, but because of the danger of glass , etc in the water I find my feet are very vulnerable ( I know some folks who have glued on heavy soles on the bottoms of their booties . I did see a set of neopreme mucklocks and REI . I dont know how they would work , but I am very concernd about cuts from junk in the water as you wade or walk on the banks .

:

Those are "Trail Boots", made by Tom Seavey; Azland Traditions
http://azlandtraditions.com/leather_moccasin.html
I have the two eye (lower) version. Wear them around the house and shop all the time. But not enough support or grip for portaging.

Tom is listed in the WCHA builders directory ( http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/nh.php ) -- I was quite impressed by the moccasins he displayed in his tent at last summer's Assembly.

As to the water shoes/sneakers -- one of the best things about them is the protection they give your feet against debris in lake and stream beds -- not just glass and stones, but where I often paddle, sticks sharpened by beaver are a hazard.

Back