Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Minas Benson Hubbard

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by dboles, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

In case anyone is interested in Dillon Wallace's books, "The Lure of the Labrador Wild" and "The Long Labrador Trail" are each available for $1.99 at Powell's books
    http://www.powells.com

A digital version is available for $2

Wallace's 1922 book "The Story of Grenfell of the Labrador" is also available from Alibris, Abebooks, etc.

2. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Here is the link to the text of "A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador" by Mina Benson Hubbard. You download it to a PDF file and can print it or read on line.
    If you get lucky enough to locate an original copy of the book, even a reprint, they are pricey.
    I printed from this link: http://manybooks.net/titles/hubbardmetext03wwlbr10.html

3. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

winter reading

I am readng THE WOMAN WHO MAPPED LABRADOR,The Life and Expedition Diary of Mina Hubbard, and when I searched this site to see what others had to say I came on this Post from 2004 that asked about the canoes. On page 103 I noted this paragraph.
    In the hold were six maple paddles and two"Guides Special"canvas covered canoes, each "Dead Grass" in colour and 19 feet in length, purchased by Mina just a month before for $70.00 from the Old Town Canoe Company of Maine.
    Footnote 158 says. Dickie Papers. Leonidas Hubbard had also purchased his canoe from the Old town Canoe Company.
    Craig

4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

A copy of this invoice is attached below if anyone is curious.

Benson

Attached Files:

5. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

thanks

Thanks Benson, very cool. How did you connect it to the Hubbard expedition other than the date and shipping location?
    Craig

6. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Lorne Hollett sent me this copy on 4/20/2005 and said that "The original was found by Susan Felsberg while searching through university archives, looking for material on a totally different subject." Lorne is the editor of "THEM DAYS" magazine in Labrador, Canada as I mentioned in my repy number 14 in this thread. I suspect that the "Hubbard" name on the top was the primay connection link.

Benson