looking for overnight canoe trip,lower mich.

bob goeckel

Wooden Canoe Maniac
4 people, where we can pull up on a bank and camp overnight. looking at the little manistee,muskegon and white rivers. any other good suggestions welcome. mid june trip. thanks

Pere Marquette River

The Forest Service maintains a canoe in only campground river left below Upper Branch Bridge called Elk campground. I've only seen a camp set up there once in many passings of the campground. Permits for the boats will be required in June obtainable from the FS in Baldwin. Free the day of use $2.00 ea if purchased ahead of time. Mail in or walk in only no phone reservations but you can check at (231) 745-4631 regarding availability on a specific day. Also parking permits are required at all FS landings. Can be self issued at the site. The price we pay for having an overly popular stream. I understand ther are designated capmsites on the Manistee which are shown on a FS map but have not personally seen one. Fire ring only.

Last edited:
The Huron in SE Mich is fun. Contact the Huron - Clinton Metroparks. They have a canoe guide with pertinent information. The area below Hudson Mills Metropark is used much more than the upper river from Proud Lake to North Territorial Road. The stretches above and below Kensington Metropark are my favorites.

Bob,
Was reading an interesting article on the Platte River.The article was in Canoe and Kayak's yearly Canoe Journal (2004),they called it a Classic Northern River.
North Western Michigan near Traverse City.
Dan'l

Back