Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Looking for boat identification

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by stevep627, Jul 1, 2015.

1. stevep627

stevep627 New Member

I am looking to learn more about a wooden boat which has been in the family for many years.

It is a square stern lapstrake construction - 15ft length with a 48" beam. It has double oar locks.

There is a metal tag on the front deck of the boat - "Fox River Boat Works, West DuPere, Wis."

This boat has been in the Pentwater, MI area since before 1960, at least. The family was from Wheaton, IL.

Is it possible to narrow down it's identification to manufacturer?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Well, the manufacturer is right there on the tag. ;)

Fox River Boat Works was the successor to Dan Kidney and Sons, renowned for their hunting boats. FRBW was formed 1932 when the company moved to a smaller factory. It survived until 1964.

A 1932 FRBW catalog as well as several Dan Kidney Catalogs are available in digital format: http://store.wcha.org/The-Historic-...pany-Catalog-Collection-Version-2-CD-ROM.html

4. Larry Meyer

Larry Meyer Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

5. OP
    OP
    stevep627

stevep627 New Member

Thanks for all of your replies.

I thought that I had read someplace that Fox River Boat Works also sold boats manufactured by other companies.
    This boat (in the family) was always referred to as "the Clinker". Does Clinker refer to manufacturer, style, other????
    Steve

6. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Clinker is another term for lapstrake, the type of construction used to build the boat.