Life Jacket- NRS Clearwater

I haven't any experience with the NRS Clearwater, but I do have an Astral mesh-backed pdf that is purportedly cooler than other pdfs, and it does seem a bit cooler on a hot day. From catalog photos, the NRS Cledarwater seems quite similar in basic design to the mesh-back Astral.

Be aware that the flotation material that might have been placed where the mesh is has been located elswhere, so the Astral floatation foam is not as svelte as it is on othr pdfs.

I don't find that a particular problem with mine -- it is designed well and fits me well -- but I could see that the bulk of some of the foam units might cause fit problems for others. I strongly suggest trying it on, and moving about in is as though you are paddling -- make sure that your arms can move freely throughout their range of expected motion while paddling.

Thanks Greg. I did try on an Astral V-Eight PFD that seemed okay. The NRS Clearwater mesh back was not available but as you say the Clearwater seems similar from the catalog photos. The Clearwater is a bit less expensive. I am coming over from the dark side of not routinely wearing one of these things. I just put on the ole Stearns vest when it looks like the going might get rough. The Stearns is restrictive when paddling and is about as cool as wearing a garbage bag.

-Chuck

Back