leeboard hardware

DAVID EDGERLY

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I am trying to put together a sail rig for my canoe i have most of the parts that i need.the leeboard pivot bolt has the nut with handle all in one. I am afraid to lose this piece when leeboard is pivoted it could loosen this up. I have seen in aca book that special washer could be used this would have flat on id of washer or tab that would fit key slot machined in bronze carriage bolt.i could have these parts made by local machine shop. Would like to know if these parts are available ?

Do you have a photo of what you are looking for?

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

WWW.RossBros.com

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 756
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 732
  • 27sail.jpg
    27sail.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 661
  • 091309_11431.jpg
    091309_11431.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 761
  • shay.jpg
    shay.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 703
Hardware

I can't figure out how to post picture have tryed as attachment won't work. This hardware is a bronze carriage bolt with a key way cut into threads and mating washer this will keep washer in place so tail nut can't walk off bolt.

Attachments

• sail hardware.jpg
    sail hardware.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 671
Ok, I got it but I'm trying to think of the science that might make this work. Sometimes when you get going on a good rip, these boards do sing. Although if the carriage bolt head is captured the handle shouldn't loosen, it is heavy on one side.

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

WWW.RossBros.com

hardware

the walking of the tail nut would occur when pivoting lee board up or down. WERE YOU ABLE TO VIEW THUMB NAIL

Yes, I can see your image. I think it will walk regardless. There is no setting and forgetting it in canoe sailing it requires constant tinkering. If you are really concerned about loosing your nut, you might think about drilling a hole in the bolt and inserting a cotter pin.

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

www.RossBros.com

This hardware is a bronze carriage bolt with a key way cut into threads and mating washer this will keep washer in place so tail nut can't walk off bolt.

If you have a star washer between the "special" washer and the wing nut, it should hold. Without a star washer Ross is correct, it's off like bottle cap on a cold beer.
There are also thread fillers like Vibratite that are designed for exactly these kinds of applications.

the leeboard pivot bolt has the nut with handle all in one. I am afraid to lose this piece when leeboard is pivoted it could loosen this up.

Another option is to simply drill a hole or mount a ring on the lever nut and use a small string or chain to attach it to the leeboard thwart. This is the only way that I can keep the top rudder pintles from getting lost. I have had leeboard lever nuts loosen up on occasion but the leeboard pops up immediately so you tend to notice right away. I've never had one back out enough to fall off completely when sailing.

Benson

Thank you

I appreciate the input from all,I will put this together with hardware that i have and see what happens on the water.i have had these parts for many years finally getting around to putting it together.
Dave

Back