Lakefield canoe (links to pics)

Cliff Ober

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello everyone, I'm a new user (although I have lurked a bit); I'm posting a link to images of a 1906 Lakefield canoe that some may find of interest:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9TLpPuHvqYW4dusqsZFyU4z1npLFFesdMWNZEfSLhVU?feat=directlink

Alma's Canoe_Lois_Lorraine_small.jpg

This canoe has been in our family since it was purchased new by my great-grandfather as a birthday present for his daughter (my grandmother). It's fully functional and in good shape for it's age; I hope y'all enjoy the images.

Cliff Ober

Thanks for the pictures. Reminds me of my wife and her friend on Payette Lake Idaho. Pete

Greg, in a year and a half, if all goes well, that canoe will be based very close to you in Maine (summer place?). Retirement is not far off (Hallelujah!), and we'll be moving permanently to Harmony. We bought a nice place there a couple of years ago that we currently use for vacations. Unfortunately it's not directly on a lake, but Great Moose Lake is close, as are other water bodies. I'm itching to get onto some of the lakes farther north too. Maybe we can connect some day...

Cliff

Beautiful canoe. I just love an all wood, bright finished hull. And to think that it's still in usable condition after a century of use is amazing. Hoping you many more years paddling her.

A wonderful documentation of some critical construction details!

I love the traces of past outings written over the outside of the hull - makes it all real

Thanks for sharing

A wonderful documentation of some critical construction details!

I love the traces of past outings written over the outside of the hull - makes it all real

Thanks for sharing

Jack, that canoe has seen hard usage through the years; we have very old photos showing it pulled up on rocks, and it was occasionally also used to shoot rapids. I know of three times the keel was broken doing that (and subsequently replaced). I've used it all my life and I can't count the times I've bumped rocks or stumps with it, as have other family members. The lake where we had our summer place is very beautiful and packed with islands, but along with that is proliferation of protruding rocks and hidden shoals. It's hard to go anywhere interesting without running into stuff. All that certainly left a visual toll, but it's just part of its history and tons of wonderful memories.

Thanks for the comments!

Cliff

Hello; I have seen the Alma´s canoe, she is beatyfull, and she remember me the canoe builded by Mark Morrall. Are both the same clas or design?
I would like to build it, reading about them, I noticed it is a very " natural" building method. I´ve build some ply boats and strip canoes in Chile, my country, and when remember all the epoxy powder and nano bits of FG floating in the air and, at last, going to the ambient and water courses , I begin to look for a natural method.
Somebody know where to get a plan for a mould 17 ft like the Morrall canoe?
Here we have many forest and many classes of wood to build boats, like cypress, nothofagus oblicua, etc.,
TheAdirondack guide boat, of Durant, may be usefull in this project?.
I will be very happy recieving your coments.
Enrique Bruna

Back