Kennebec in Jacksonville, FL

charltons

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a while but now joined WCHA. I've built a Redbird stripper and am currently working on a SOF kayak, but that has been put aside for the restoration of a 1916 Kennebec. It was in pretty rough shape but I added new stems, repaired the ribs (and will be replacing a few), and am installing new gunwales.

Advice from anyone else with experience restoring Kennebecs would be most welcome!

Steve Charlton

Attachments

• canoe1.jpg
    canoe1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 473
  • canoe2.jpg
    canoe2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 484
  • canoe3.jpg
    canoe3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
You're in Florida, so if you go to http://www.wcha.org/local-area-chapters/ you'll find contact info for the SouthEast Chapter... depending on your location, you may find opther members near you. It's always nice to have another set of eyes on problems! Posting questions here will get you answers, too, but eyes-on is the best way to go.

And welcome to the WCHA!

Steve,

I am in Jacksonville (Mandarin). I have repaired several Old Towns (new stems, canvas, repaired and new ribs etc). I don't know anything about Kennebecs but would love to see your project and talk shop and paddle.

Fritz Koenig
904 729 9258

I'm across the river in Cedar Hills. Does the Southeast chapter meet nearby? Also, were you selling an Old Town on Craigslist a while ago? I'll give you a ring soon after I clean up from the rains- I was literally canoeing in the street ferrying the elderly and their pets to the dry portion of the street.

Steve,
There is a Southeast Chapter meeting in Melboune August 4th and 5th. We would really like to meet you if you can make it there. This will be a very interesting weekend. For more info search for "Southeast" on the forum. If you need a canoe to paddle for the weekend just let me know. Thanks, Macky

Not to hijack, but Macky how does the chapter announce such things? I'd like to be in the loop. Steve, if you need help or materials I'm just south of Birmingham.

Steve,

Good question. Micharl Grace posted the announcement on this forum. You can find the announcement by seaching for "southeast" on the forum. Please try to notify

the members that do not use the forum.

Thanks, Macky

Steve,
There is a Southeast Chapter meeting in Melboune August 4th and 5th. We would really like to meet you if you can make it there. This will be a very interesting weekend. For more info search for "Southeast" on the forum. If you need a canoe to paddle for the weekend just let me know. Thanks, Macky

I'd love to make it, but I have to start getting back into school teacher mode around that time. But I would like to meet others. I was thinking almost everyone in FL preferred plastic boats!

Not to hijack, but Macky how does the chapter announce such things? I'd like to be in the loop. Steve, if you need help or materials I'm just south of Birmingham.

Thanks. I was looking at your site and really like those woven drink holders. Did you make those, or are they for sale somewhere? My last trip my brother injured his arm (conveniently?) prior to put-in, so I paddled solo with him in the bow. His one good arm got tired holding his coffee the whole time so that would have come in handy...

Back