Kennebec Charles River 1915 - The journey begins.

Tnic

Paddlewon Canoobie
I just bought (sorta) my first wooden canoe. Just got word from the seller that the old gal is mine, just have to arrange the payment. Also hope to get some more pics to drool on until my bride and I hop back over The Pond and take possession of her.

This summer we're just going to paddle her and maybe install proper caned seats. Next year we'll do some more work, but the full on restore will have to wait until I build my shop.

Many thanks to Benson and MGC for their help with IDing some things and possibly dating her in the Research & History board.

She doesn't look too bad for 100+

Attachments

• 01212_fFbWUF8ACBf_600x450.jpg
    01212_fFbWUF8ACBf_600x450.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 00101_ag8MVWiWv3j_600x450.jpg
    00101_ag8MVWiWv3j_600x450.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 340
  • 00s0s_ia25SRa8U6d_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_ia25SRa8U6d_600x450.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 00b0b_dclV17ANhAH_600x450.jpg
    00b0b_dclV17ANhAH_600x450.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 341
Well, the deal fell through on this one. If anyone's interested, shes to found on the Maine CL page.

Right on Benson. With out a way to pay electronically it was impossible to get the money to him so I decided to back out. If its still available when I get home I might go have a look and make an offer. But yeah, 450 for a boat that's been altered this much and needs that much work, well...

I'd rather pay the $500 for that Lightweight up in Greenville that just needs new canvass and cane.

I don't know what happened but the $450 price at https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/6096207161.html seems a bit optimistic for a canoe like this.

Benson

So true... the only thing that could have made it worse was a layer or two of resin and glass.... I'd rather start with a damaged hull in need of repair than a repaired hull that's been damaged... it's much easier to make your own mess.
Right on Benson. With out a way to pay electronically it was impossible to get the money to him so I decided to back out. If its still available when I get home I might go have a look and make an offer. But yeah, 450 for a boat that's been altered this much and needs that much work, well...

I'd rather pay the $500 for that Lightweight up in Greenville that just needs new canvass and cane.

That is probably a better boat for you to start out with. It's nice to keep an old boat quasi original if you can...
The Kennebec has been tweaked too much and has lost much of it's attraction.

So true... the only thing that could have made it worse was a layer or two of resin and glass

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. It was glassed too.

I do want something to do some weekend camping out of with my wife. The 15' Lightweight might be a little small for the longer trips. The Kennebec is a 16 footer.

I have the OTCA 18 now, but it'll be a couple years before I'll have a space to restore the old gal. Would like to find a decent 16 to play in. Big enough for tandem camping and small enough to solo if I want.

For now I have the Discovery 169 that will get us on the water until I find the right canvas & wood. And I'd still like to build a stripper 16' Prospector someday.

Back