Kennebec Canoe 17' #2013

sitzmark

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have (what I believe to be a Kennebec 17' canoe that I am restoring.
The number in the stem is 2013. The deck is heart shaped and mahogany.

How can I try to narrow the search to determine what model I might have.

Thanks
Greg

Can you post pictures of the serial numbers from each end and from any metal tag that may be in the deck area? The tips at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?791 may help if you are having trouble reading any of the digits. Kennebec's build records show serial number 2013 as being assigned to a 16 foot long Kineo model in 1909 and to a 14 foot long Maine Coast rowboat in 1921. They would also occasionally assign serial numbers over 100,000 and either replace the first two digits with an "M" or omit them entirely. Their serial number 102013 was assigned to a 16 foot long Kineo Special model in 1928. Can you also confirm the extreme overall length of your canoe in a straight line? Thanks,

Benson

More on Kennebec Canoe

Thanks- I am having trouble uploading pic. The overall length (straight line) is 16'9".
Here is a pic of the serial#

Greg

Attachments

• Kennebec-10625.jpg
    Kennebec-10625.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Kennebec-19437.jpg
    Kennebec-19437.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Kennebec-22659.jpg
    Kennebec-22659.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 312
They have a similar look.

Greg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 309
They have a similar look.

I beg to differ. The serial number font shown in your picture looks much different to me from either of the styles shown in the known Kennebec serial number images that I attached. The only similar one in my collection of identified canoe serial number images is the one from a Racine shown below. Racine occasionally used a heart shaped deck but the one shown at http://dragonflycanoe.com/wood-canoe-identification-guide/features-decks/ is slightly different from yours. Do you know any of this canoe's history? Is it from the Midwest?

Benson

Attachments

• Racine-6123.jpg
    Racine-6123.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The font is different in 2 of the examples. It was similar (though not a duplicate image) of one of the three. I also have looked at the Racine the other heart shaped canoe deck. As a possible fit. Is the Racine canoe depth as shallow as the Kennebec canoe?
The canoe came to me in NH. It's been in my barn for 40+ years. I got it from a friend when he was going to throw it out.

Thanks

There were 6 pages devoted to ID of this canoe in 2010.
I'd suggest taking it to the annual assembly in Paul Smith's NY in July.
We are missing something...maybe real experienced eyes can ferret out the maker.

Thank you again for the feedback. What do you see as a font difference on 22659 serial # that you provided. Also, is the serial # in the last pic raised lettering? Mine isn't. Thanks for the offer to go the next step for identification but I will keep poking around in New England. All of my ribs need some type of enlargement & none of the out walls or inwalls survived. As well as having only one stem to use as a template.
I can guess on the depth to set the rib lengths but any educated guess who be helpful - that's way I was asking about the depth of the Racine vs. Kennebec.

Thank you again for your help & assistance.

What changed my mind was the dimensions of the bow stem. I am not an expert on canoes but finding dimension information got me questioning what I have. After getting a recommendation on the serial# I was trying unsuccessfully to get some dimension on the stem. The stem on my canoe is 1/2 the size of an Old Town of the same length. Isn't that a significant difference. If the deck is heart shaped and Kennebec is heart shape but I haven't come across a duplicate with a Charles River then doubt can creep in. I appreciate everyone's time and effort but all I want is comparable information to match this canoe to increase my confidence that I am returning the canoe to its original shape & lines.

Respectfully
Greg

The canoe shown at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?1656 has heart shaped decks and a Robertson stamp on the thwart. There is another similar one in the Old Town Canoe Company factory store with a Roberson tag on the deck. The narrow stem is unusual and you may need to just restore the current shape since a positive identification of the original builder may not be possible. Good luck,

Benson

Back