Kennebec 7011

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
I am curious about this number. Kennebec 7011.

Thanks in advance.

Fitz

The Kennebec canoe with serial number 7011 is shown on pages 204 and 205 of volume one in the Kennebec ledgers. This was assigned to 17 foot long Kennebec model with spruce rails, cedar stems, and cedar planking. It was planked by Grant and Handrikan(?) on November 2nd, 1912. It had 15 inch maple decks and was covered with 54 inch number ten canvas. Roy canvased it and Smith applied the first filler coat on the same day. The second filler coat was applied by Grant on February 1st. The keel, braces (thwarts), and seats appear to be maple. A. Branch added the rails on February 15th. It was originally painted B. Green by Smith on February 22nd. It was shipped to "W Phil" on March 31st, 1913. This may have been Wanamaker's as described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanamaker's but we don't currently have enough information to identify it.

The scans of this build record can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) as you probably know well. I hope that you will renew your membership or contribute to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

More information about this and other Kennebec models can be found in the Kennebec catalogs contained on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CDs available from the WCHA store and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• k-7011-a.gif
    k-7011-a.gif
    794.6 KB · Views: 196
  • k-7011-b.gif
    k-7011-b.gif
    585.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Kennebec/Morris?

I was curious about this serial number, because it was stamped on the stem of a reported Kennebec. The stems however, are splayed cedar Morris stems. So, I was wondering if there was any reference to the canoe originating in the Morris factory and being finished up at Kennebec. There is no mention of that on the build record apparently.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the canoe. It is a fine, shapely canoe, but I seem to recall most of the trim has been replaced. Otherwise, the hull is intact and looks good.

The canoe resides at Camp Pathfinder in Algonquin Park. Steve Lapey and I paid a visit there on our return from Killbear. It is a wooden canoe Mecca. I spent most of an afternoon looking over the collection. The canoe collection is a study in itself on what works and what doesn't work on canoes that seen extremely hard tripping use.

Attachments

• PathfinderCollection.jpg
    PathfinderCollection.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Planter.jpg
    Planter.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 202
Another curious one

Fitz,

Did you happen to notice if the stem bands were riveted through the cedar stem or fastened in some other way?

Wish I cod have made the trip. Put the camper on the truck and had two major non functioning systems, both gas related and not enough time to get the replacement parts & the repairs done before departure time, AAARRRGGGGHHHHH

Ed

The stems however, are splayed cedar Morris stems. So, I was wondering if there was any reference to the canoe originating in the Morris factory and being finished up at Kennebec.

There are a fair number of these Kennebecs with Morris type stems. Not a single one has a notation in the ledgers about originating at Morris.

We still do not know whether these Kennebec/Morris hybrids originated in the Morris factory and were finished by Kennebec, or whether they were built at Kennebec using Morris techniques (maybe they had a Morris style form requiring splayed stems that they only occasionally used, for example...)

Stems

The provenance for the canoe makes sense. It appears we have the right record.

Ed, I'm afraid I didn't notice if the stem bands were originally riveted on. Maybe Steve remembers. I suspect that because the stems were cedar that rivets would have been used.

Interesting that all the canoes on that page of the ledger had cedar stems - common for these older Kennebecs?

Yes, thanks Dan, I do realize all that appears to be Morris may not be.

Fitz.

Back