Ken Ballantine Paddle Craftsman ???

G

gate9797

I am looking for information regarding the work of the late Ken Ballantine, paddle craftsman in Ontario, Canada. Both he and his father made paddles in Grasssmere, Ontario.

So Noone Knows of Grassmere paddles?

Noone has experience with Grassmere paddles?

The first paddle I ever bought, back in 1983, is a Grassmere. I still have it, but never use it. They were OK paddles, about equivalent to Grey Owl. Of course, some models were better than others. They stopped, and someone else bought the assets. Met him once, and haven't heard about Grassmere paddles since.

Douglas Ingram said:
The first paddle I ever bought, back in 1983, is a Grassmere. I still have it, but never use it. They were OK paddles, about equivalent to Grey Owl. Of course, some models were better than others. They stopped, and someone else bought the assets. Met him once, and haven't heard about Grassmere paddles since.

I bought thre paddles from Grassmere Paddles in 1962-63 and while two of them were very average the 54" cherrywood beavertail was the best paddle I have ever seen.

You mentioned that you "met him once". What would you say was his age in 1983 when you met Mr Ballantine?

Sorry, I once met the guy who bought the company name and assets. That was in 1996. I might have his businees card still around. I'l have a look around and see if I find it. At the least, you might find out more of the story.

Douglas Ingram said:
Sorry, I once met the guy who bought the company name and assets. That was in 1996. I might have his businees card still around. I'l have a look around and see if I find it. At the least, you might find out more of the story.

I see. So the paddle that you bought was a Grassmere paddle but made by the present owners, not by Ballantine? Thanks, I have been in touch with the current owners.

I was interested in whether Grassmere Paddles, under the original ownership of Ken Ballantine and his father, was known to make good paddles.

Back