Is it really that old?

Dave Nagel

This Year's Obsession
Hi folks,

Did they make canoes that looked like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160298607505&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 in the 1920-1930's. After I asked the guy what Lead him to believe it was that old he attached the two pictures at the bottom. To me the canoes in the pictures do not look like the model he is selling. In the pictures of the old ones the decks all curve up towards the bow and where the stem meets the tip of the decks is well above the gunnels amidship. By the way can anyone tell me what that is called?

It's always fun to learn more about these things
Dave

It's modern production made overseas, and not all that well. I've got three of them and they are perfectly fine decorator pieces, as long as that is what you buy them as. The bottom two photos were taken at the Canadaian Canoe Museum in Peterborough.

In the pictures of the old ones the decks all curve up towards the bow and where the stem meets the tip of the decks is well above the gunnels amidship. By the way can anyone tell me what that is called?

The "sheer" is the term to describe the upper edge of the gunwales. There aren't really good terms to describe different sheer lines.

These canoe models show up everywhere. I have corrected many a lister on the Ebay site. They are cheap and made in China! Do not be fooled, people often dont know what they are listing on Ebay!!!! It too bad some list based strictly on what they are told by a so-called expert.:( BTW, I have submitted a comment to the person listing the canoe, well see if he tells me to go play in the traffic!

Chris,

He didn't exactly tell you to play in traffic but close, tee hee. He wanted $20 to ship it. He probably would have made a profit on that alone.

Dave

That is hilarious! I am glad he has a sense of humor:) I am tempted to bid on it just because he is such a good sport.

Dave

It's no longer listed, what was posted? He thought I was being a busy body, although I feel that he was in error and it wasnt an "antique" as stated. I meant no harm, just see it too often when something isnt posted correctly.

Chris...

Click on the link in my post above... he issued you a rather spectacular apology in his re-listing of the little canoe. And he emailed me the following "... I hope Chris doesn't mind the advertising, he really makes beautiful models, and after visiting his page, I see he definitely knows what he's talking about."

He must have pulled it Kathy, picked on your link and its ended, would have loved to see what he wrote though. How did he find out about my web site?

Chris-- He probably Googled and found your website... and was very impressed. So much so that he essentially did an advertisement on your behalf, with the address of your website in big letters and extolling your beautiful work. He also promoted the WCHA, and he had some very derogatory statements about his little canoe-- listed it at $.01 and called it a piece of junk. Very humorous listing, but maybe someone was offended.

Hello All:

Well, I've finally gotten around to registering so that I can reply to as well as read Forum comments. Wish I'd done this some time ago, and had seen this particular thread re supposedly 'old' model canoes that show up from time to time on eBay. It happens less frequently these days, but was a really serious problem several years ago.

Chris is right; these things come from China and Indonesia, and began flooding into the US in the early '90's. Several have been 'antiqued' and 'distressed', then sold on eBay for hundreds, even thousands of dollars. A few years ago, I went on a crusade to get several of these sales overturned (with some success) and money returned to the victims. Over the years, many suspect listings have been reported to eBay (who often did little or nothing), and also to the Police (who were sometimes slow to react). We came close a couple of times to nailing the counterfeiter who was faking these things by using the imported models as a base, then adding old time manufacturer's names like 'Kennebec', Old Town', 'Otter River', etc., in attempts to fool unsuspecting novice collectors.

Not all sellers are being dishonest, but many should really know better, and be a lot more careful about claims of age and maker. In an attempt to do my part as an avid canoe/kayak model collector interested in protecting my hobby and my colleagues, I decided to write an eBay 'buyer's guide' on how to avoid fakes and frauds when it comes to salesman's sample canoes. I did a second one on miniature paddles, complete with photos in both cases. For those who are interested, you can find them on eBay under my member name 'roger-y'. There is a third guide on vintage hunting decoys, another of my collecting passions. I welcome comment and critique on how any of these can be improved, and encourage others to submit pieces on areas of their own expertise. The more we make such info available to the public, the harder it becomes for the bad guys to fool the public, at least those who are smart enough to do a little reading and research before running off to buy something.

Best regards.

Dave:

re:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Absolutely the same thing as the previous one. An import from China, where they are made by the thousands. Guaranteed NOT an antique; likely no more than 10 - 15 years old at the most. Worth about what the guy is asking as an opening bid, not a whole lot more. Sometimes these sellers seem to think that, just because some elderly person owned it, it also must be old, whereas it could have been bought a few weeks/months before they died. In this case, the previous owner didn't have it for long, and certainly no more than a very few years.

Last edited:
Back