Inside Gunwale: Replace, scarph, or something else

Scotty

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings Everyone, working on an old Racine and was looking for advice on what my best options are for ensuring the inside gunwale will support a seat. I've replaced both inner stems and what I will call a sheer strake as they were both pretty chewed up. Boat is in surprisingly good shape for as old as I believe it to be, but the wood is a bit brittle. Based on what I have been able to gather the gunwales were made of mahogany and I plan to replace the outsides (they are off already). The inwales are in pretty good shape so looking for ideas on how to keep them in the boat if possible. I've attached a few photos for reference. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210209_200602.jpg
    20210209_200602.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 20210209_200613.jpg
    20210209_200613.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 269
I recently spliced a broken inwale and was pleased with the result. The longer, the better. Normally i would replace a broken inwale but this is my own canoe and I wanted to see if it would work. I used titebond lll.

I have drilled old holes out and put plugs in the holes. I think with TBIII or epoxy ( other than 5 min epoxy) would hold the plugs in and strengthen the inwale. I use a plug cutter and put one plug in from the top and one in from the bottom with a clamp squeezing them together.
It’s no problem to install the seat with a hole in the plug.
If you select the color and grain, sometimes the plugs can be nearly invisible. Maybe make plugs from your old outwales??

Back