Identification help needed

Roger Young

display sample collector
I have an auctioneer friend who has been consigned three models of which he has little background or id info to go on. I believe I know perhaps something about the canoe; however, I'm not at all certain about the other two, both of which strike me more as rowing skiff or guide boat-like models rather than canoes (perhaps one might be a double-ender). Your thoughts are invited. The auctioneer simply better wishes to inform his bidding public beforehand. I will happily provide auction info source for any interested in bidding.

I suspect the solid wooden canoe, which to my eyes resembles an Ojibway 'long nose' in shape/style, could be an early mass-produced replica or toy rather than individually hand carved, and, as it has a fixed base (could be a later addition), is/was meant for more decorative purposes. Looks to have very smooth surfaces, suggesting to me some machine sanding and likely multiple manufacturing process, as opposed to singular hand carving. Your thoughts are most welcome.

The two rowing skiff or 'guide boat-like' models have me puzzled. Both are said to have US origins. The one with the striped, dark/light planking strikes me as possibly related to the St. Lawrence River area. The other, perhaps more of an Adirondack influence. The ribs seem curiously frail, loose or ill-placed. I like the overall looks though. Again, kindly venture any opinions you care to share. Many Thanks.

Herewith the photos.
IMG_0843.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg

Last edited:
The third one looks to be a St. Lawrence River Skiff. The shape, trim details, and oar style all point to that.

Back