Ideal repair kit contents?

Aravenguide

Maine Guide
Hey folks,
I’m in the process of developing a canvas canoe repair kit for my 1914 Charles River and also for eventual sale.

Right now I am looking at;
1. 4oz bottle with included brush and paint that is the same as on the boat
2. 15- Brass Tacks
3. Curved needle and 15’ of kevlar line
4. small bottle of filler
5. Epoxy- (What is best AND available)
6. 12x12 piece of 10oz canvas
7. 25’ of Paracord for seat repair etc
8. 10’ of gorilla tape or fabric tape
9. In a canvas bag sewn of the same material.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Very true Dan!

When I got my Maine guides license I was asked how I would repair a ripped wood/canvas canoe if I forgot my repair kit. At the time I hadn’t a clue what a wood/canvas canoe was :eek: but I figured I could BS my way to a suitable answer. I can take a piece of clothing, cotton or wool. saturate it in pine tar gathered from the local spruce and patch it. They bought it! Ironically I described a birchbark canoe repair....:)

I would also recommend replacing or supplementing the canvas with a thinner fabric - you'll have a much easier time getting a fair patch. Bandannas are common but are typically low-thread count cheap fabric; I prefer old bedsheets for a tighter weave. For a repair kit for heavier tripping use, it's also good to bring sheet metal squares to back up busted planking with. See this for more info (they suggest old can lids): http://ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/fieldrepairs.htm.

My father was a Maine Guide and also worked for the Maine Forest Service quite a long time ago. He passed along the following advice that was acquired knowledge from his time in the woods. On a canoe trip you need a 4 or 5 pound slab of smoked bacon/pork(scrape the mold off as you go), a 2 or three pounds of dried beans (navy beans), a couple pounds of tobacco, a few pounds of Bisquick, an axe, a good knife and a way to start a fire. A fishing rod and a model 94 are also suggested. We used to fantasize how the Voyagers would haul around an extra boat loaded with tobacco and beans.....when you paddle 6 or 7 hours a day you start generating some wild fantasies.

I carry a bit of duct tape, a tube of Ambroid and a good knife. I may give the gorilla tape a try someday. I have ropes attached to my bow and stern...and carry a small bit of Paracord in my kit along with fire starter etc....

Dan - my guess that a Model 94 is a Winchester lever action rifle for 30-30 ammunition. It would seem to be a logical companion to his fishing rod! Al D

Back