How much paint??

mug21

Curious about Wooden Canoes
How much paint should I order for a 16 foot canoe? I'm assuming a gallon is more than plenty. Thanks.

One quart might almost do it, but I always get two so I don’t have to worry.
I usually do 4 coats minimum.

Always takes me 2 quarts paint plus a primer coat. Seems every time it takes me 3 coats to relearn how do it properly and a other few coats to kill off the damn flies & bugs in the garage that want to get their feet wet.

So Howie......Iam a week or so away from painting my 16 foot OCTA. I already put some primer down...Jamestown stuff. And I have 2 quarts of red easy poxy. Do I put it on with a 4 inch foam roller ...doing like 3 foot sections ?? Any help would be appreciated....and thanks.

I've used the Jamestown's Totalboat Topside Primer. Watch out when you sand it: if you sand it 'dry' you'll very quickly load up the paper. Use it 'wet' by splashing a little water - like a tablespoon - as you go.

As to the paint, I've never used Easy Poxy and couldn't advise you on how to apply it. I use Total Boat's paint or Epifanes, and use a 2" brush.

Whatever paint you use, yes to rolling and tipping...that way the paint will not run....
I can get 4 or 5 coats on a 16 foot canoe with one quart. I do thin the paint using the mfgrs. thinner if it's Epifanes or what have you for other paints. As noted by Howie, always sand between coats.

A lot depends upon the color. Dark Green or dark blue , one qt will do. White or bright red will take at least two qts. Paint is expensive, try one qt and see what happens.

Back