Home built/modified trailer

Hummy

Canoe Dude
I am planning to modify my 4x6 utility trailer to carry a pair of canoes, and maybe add another level for two more if needed in the future. Being that the surgeons were unable to repair my shoulder this time, it is challenging for me to load anything on the roof of a vehicle. I'm going to modify the tailgate so it can be removed, and probably come up from the side rails with 2" steel pipe about two feet or so, and then simple horizontal "racks" or bars.
I have a source of old fire hose which I could be used as padding on the horizontals.
I am wondering what everyone else is doing or seeing on canoe trailers.
Thanx!

654102426215.jpg

When I bought my trailer, it was built much the same as you describe, with the steel pipe, even with old fire hose on the crossbars. The fire hose is probably okay for aluminum or vinyl gunnels, but the colors from the hose came off on wood gunnels.

I replaced the hose with 1&1/4 or 1&1/2 inch clear plastic tubing from the hardware store, secured with cable ties. Water does get trapped inside them, but not all that much, and the wood gunnnels look much better...

FWIW

One problem with a 4 x 6 utility trailer is the short tongue. It does not allow you to center longer canoes over the trailer, causing issues when turning and backing up.

I was just reviewing that issue on the drawing table last night, Dave. I hate to go out and buy another trailer to clutter the fleet.
I'm going to look into making a longer draw bar, seems simple enough if I can get some square stock. I think if I add three feet I'm sure I can carry the 147, probably going to have to go longer for an 18. Perhaps I can do some sort of cantilever off the top rail to get 12-18 inches, but it may look goofy...
I'm going to look into an extend a bed, which is one of those deals that slips into a hitch receiver. It may work by having a receiver on the rear of this short trailer, then just pop in when I need it.
I'm going to roll the trailer into the shop Monday and measure up my options.

extendarack_clip_image008.jpg 00u0u_5PMdRvghRMS_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
If the trailer you are planning to use is the one in the pics, be sure that the load capacity isn't too large,
or you could shake/pound apart your canoes.

Old light duty boat trailers make good canoe trailers.
Here anyway, they can be found cheap, I just got 2, one for $150 the other for $200.

Dan

Thats a great point Dan. This trailer is rated for a max of 1650 pounds, whereas a single canoe Trailex aluminum trailer is rated for 200 pounds, A Portage Pal 2 or 3 canoe steel trailer is rated for 375 pounds. Oh boy!
Guess I need to reconsider my trailer plans...

I don't know, can you have too many trailers? :)

But, when I got the trailer under our runabout, it was rated at 2200 lb, and the previous owner used it under his 17' alum fishing boat. It was way to large, he pounded his boat apart on rough Canadian roads on fishing trips.

I removed 2 leafs from each spring pack to get the rating down to about 1600 lbs, which is about right for our 16ft alum boat, it's 1000-1200lbs.
I also like the long tongues on boat trailers.

BTW - I/we now have 5 boat trailers. :)

I hate to go out and buy another trailer to clutter the fleet.

Well I began the modifications to my little 4X6 trailer today. Removed that damn tailgate/ramp and replaced the drawbar with one that was 5 feet longer. Then I came up with 8 inch risers off the upper frame rails and bolted PT 2X6X80" cross members for the boat to rest on. The overall on the trailer is 14 feet. It should handle a 16 foot boat perfectly and I should be able to go as big as an 18 footer. Being that the cross members are 80 inches, I think I can get two boats on it. My current plastic OT Guide 147 should be no problem at all. I had to put it away for a few days and make room for the vehicles for the upcoming weather. I still need to paint, install the new LED lights, some reflector thingys and put padding on the cross members...

IMG_1345.jpgBefore IMG_1349.jpgAfter

Pretty much the final on this trailer mod. Complete new wiring with water tight LED lighting with heavy duty 7 prong plug, and a light rolling trailer jack. I was able to obtain some out of service fire hose which I packed with two lengths side by side of foam pipe insulation and then tacked the hose down with stainless screws as padding for the boat(s). I also added a pair of plow markers on the rear because if the trailer isn't loaded I really can't see it. I'll probably pick up a tongue box to mount on the drawbar for storage.
IMG_1368.jpg IMG_1367.jpg

Back