Hit A Roadblock On Canvassing A 16 Foot Langford

SPH

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help come up with a solution to an issue we are having canvassing our first canoe. We followed all the instructions in this old canoe but have an issue with bunching around the final tacks at the end on the bow and stern. We took it out of the stretching system and was preparing to close then ends when the last 2-3 fasteners on the ends of the ribs came out. Now we have lost the tension by not having the tension system how do we get enough tension to refasten the canvas to last ribs while retaining tension and getting bunching out? Are there any methods since the outline on bow and stern curve have been loosely trimmed. Just having difficulties getting the canvas smooth. Any advice would be helpful or is it a case of starting with a new roll of canvas.

Thanks in advance

I go along the sheer on both sides until I get near the decks and then stop, take it out of the stretcher and do up the ends. Then finish up by doing along the decks. Sometimes I use a temporary staple or two along the decks to temporarily hold the canvas while doing up the ends.

Folks here may have other suggestions.

Fitz

Take a picture to post of where you are at. When y0u cut he boat out of tension you have to pull hard by hand to close up the stems. Then you will use your canvas pliers to pull up at the bow, and you will need to release some staples towards the middle of the boat to get rid of wrinkles and refasten.

Back