Help to identify

Lois pamplin

IMG_4871.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4875.JPG
Bought a 1910 farmhouse with a old barn. In the barn found a canoe that is made of canvas on the outside. Metal ribs on the inside for support. Wood seat with wood railing piece for the oars to slip into. The bottom piece on the floor is a wooden, foldable removable piece. The wire ribs look like you can easily pull them out on the metal bracket that each one fits into. I did hear from someone that it might be made by Mead Glider but I honestly don't see that they made any canoes? I have not been able to find one picture of a canoe that resembles this one. If Anyone out there has any knowledge of this type of canoe I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you :)

Now that I see the photos, clearly not a Mead.

Almost certainly your canoe was made by the King Folding Canvas Boat Co. of Kalamazoo, Michigan. The attached image from an undated catalog looks very similar. They started advertising in 1889.

Attachments

• PAGE-10.JPG
    PAGE-10.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:
Thank you! I am from Oregon and I'm not sure what museum in our area would be interested but I will definetly look into that. Do you think there would be any interest in someone wanting to restore or would that not be a good idea? Also, any suggestions of where the company might have put there brand name or a date of manufacturing to confirm identity?

I have no idea if these were marked - yours is the first (probable) King that I have known of. Acme, who built similar boats were marked with a stencil. I don't recall where, but may be able to look at one when I am the Antique Boat Show in Clayton, NY next week.

Out your way, there is the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria, OR, the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle and the Foss Marine Museum in Tacoma. Transportation notwithstanding, I can say with confidence that the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum would be interested in it.

I doubt this is something that could be restored. Given its apparent condition and age, preservation is probably the best goal.

Lois -- Your boat closely resembles the King type of construction. Company was also known as the Kalamazoo Folding Boat Company. Google for more info; its the same company. I own one of their boats, there are no I.D. numbers or name on it. The "hull" is heavy canvas covered with a thick coating of rubberized, flexible material. If the canvas is in fairly good shape with no tears or brittle with age, the boat could be restored. Looks like the metal ribs ore on good shape. The wood parts can be re-made. With all the seats and ribs removed, the canvas folded up into one-third of the total length. All parts were then tied up in two canvas covered bundles. The Kalamazoo Public Museum has one on display. Call me for more info, 269-353-9068.

Back