Help needed to identify this Kodak Colorama Picture taken near Lake Placid

Scott Rowe

Random Adventurer
A local photographer in Rochester, NY is trying to identify this Kodak Colorama scene captured on film by his father, Neil Montanus! All that is known is that it was taken in the Lake Placid area. Any ideas?
71332512_10220579952346126_2958175260744089600_o.jpg

Mirror Lake.jpg

We spent a long weekend in Lake Placid a month ago. Looking at the picture, I am reminded of Mirror Lake (lake adjacent to downtown Lake Placid) . The view of the mountain range behind the plane is obscured by clouds, but it seems similar to the view to the south across Mirror Lake from the northwestern shore. There is an exclusive old hotel on the hill adjacent to that shore (Mirror Lake Inn) that has and likely did have boat houses. That shore of the lake has undergone substantial recent development, so I suspect some older structures have been razed. I looked around for some historical photos of Mirror Lake but could not find a good fit.

Here is the view I am thinking about. A lot may depend on the angle of the photographer, but I suspect the image in question is from another lake?

Just a guess. Let us know if you find out more.

Cheers,

Fitz

Last edited:
I did a reverse image search on your image using Google and it came up with a link to an exhibit of Colorama images that appeared in Grand Central station. This image was one of the images featured. http://www.troutgallery.org/exhibitions/detail/37. You can see another link with the same image and an article about Mr. Montanus here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/business/neil-montanus-dead.html

The images are joint credited as being taken by Neil Montanus and Lee Howick.

It is a scene from Lake Placid - but Lake Placid the lake, which is just north of Lake Placid the city. Most of the camps on Lake Placid (the lake) are boat accessible only, so a float plane in the image makes sense. I would guess that this is looking southeast from the west shore of Lake Placid or one of the two islands contained within it. If more of the mountains were visible it might be easy to figure out the exact spot.

Maybe it's time to go for a paddle and check out the shoreline! :)

Last edited:
Shari, wow good work! It was identified by a post on facebook. It is Lake Placid, the lake, and on a point just northeast of Lake Placid Lodge. It is still there. Apparently is it visible using google maps!

Back