Help needed by UK paddler on Evergreen Canoe info

nigelphoto

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hiya
Since this is my first post on WCHA perhaps I should start with a short intro; I am a retired Lecturer in Photography and Film making, living in Northumberland, England. I have been paddling since 1962 and currently own a 16' GRP Apache Tribe - yea, I know, stoopid Limeys call a boat after the one and only SW Plains buffalo-hunting tribe that never had anything to do with canoes!
I took early retirement this summer as I only had 18 months to go but just couldn't face another class of bored 16-19 years olds at the end of the holidays so I spent my pension lump sum on this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelphoto2011/sets/72157627476124408/

She is in pristine condition and was in the back of a barn for 2 years but the guy I bought it from could only tell me that he had got it as an ex-demo boat after the 2009 UK Canoe Symposium and that it had only be used the one weekend. Cedar strippers are extremely rare in the UK and the importers ceased trading in 2008 so that line of enquiry is not valid. I have an HIN No QCR03062K707 but apart from deciphering that it was built by Ebenisterie Alain Rheaume of Grandes-Piles (pass the ointment nurse) I can't seem to work out what the rest of it means. We don't have HIN numbers in the UK and I am finding it hard to learn exactly how it works, although I have tried to follow all the links on here. I do know that the Huron is currently listed on American Traders website and that it is built by Alain Rheaume as was my boat, but what I can't fathom out is why does my boat have the Evergreen Canoe Co plate on the foredeck? i would also like to know about the Evergreen Canoe Company, when did it start, when did it dissappear in a puff of smoke and did they build canoes for themselves or sub contract all their manufacture?
Anyone who can give me any info on my boat or Evergreen I would be extremely grateful
Nigel

'The only difference between me and a Madman is that I'm not mad' Salvador Dali :D

Evergreen Canoes were based in Toronto....I believe they are no longer in business....canoes were built for them in Quebec by builders such as Alain Rheaume who also built for American Traders (as you noted) and also builds for Langford Canoes....I suspect your Huron model is identical to American Traders version.....you can find more on Alain Rheaume by doing an online search.....including an article by Globe & Mail called The Canadian Canoe Runs Into Rapids, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...nadian-canoe-runs-into-rapids/article1627213/. This article mentions Rheaume is a former cabinet maker who builds canoes for Langford (and American Traders).....

By the way, Canadian Canoes out of Cumbria was the sole UK supplier for Evergreen Canoes (as well as Redtail Paddles) in 2008.

Hope that helps....

Evergreen Canoes were based in Toronto....I believe they are no longer in business....canoes were built for them in Quebec by builders such as Alain Rheaume who also built for American Traders (as you noted) and also builds for Langford Canoes....I suspect your Huron model is identical to American Traders version.....you can find more on Alain Rheaume by doing an online search.....including an article by Globe & Mail called The Canadian Canoe Runs Into Rapids, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...nadian-canoe-runs-into-rapids/article1627213/. This article mentions Rheaume is a former cabinet maker who builds canoes for Langford (and American Traders).....

By the way, Canadian Canoes out of Cumbria was the sole UK supplier for Evergreen Canoes (as well as Redtail Paddles) in 2008.

Hope that helps....

Hiya,
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide that very useful information and link to the Globe & Mail article. I was sad to read just how hard the recession has hit canoe builders in Canada. We have just 2 wood canoe makers in the UK that I have been able to track down: John Wilkinson of Valkyrie Boats in Northern Ireland who makes a lovely 14' Cedar Stripper and a 16' wood and canvas Prospector, and Graham Warren of Moosehead who makes a 16' wood and canvas Peterborough. If I had not found my Huron at a bargain price I would have gone for one of Valkyrie's beautifully crafted boats.
Since my Post here I have managed to track down one of the owners of the now defunct 'Canadian Canoes' of Alston, Cumbria (not far from where I live in Northumberland) and he confirmed that my Huron was made for Evergreen by Alain Rheaume. However, he was a little less forthcoming on the subject of Evergreen, muttering dark threatenings about the last owner of the company!

'The only difference between me and a Madman is that I'm not mad' Salvador Dali :D

Last edited:
Not so sure that it was that the recession hit Canadian canoe builders hard as much as the change in recreational trends....such as canoeing not being as popular as kayaking....however there are many great builders (especially of wooden canoes) in Canada....many small independent operations....building a few canoes per year....and not usually associated with building for other canoe companies (such as Alain Rheaume does for Langford and American Traders)....some were listed in the Globe & Mail article such as Bill Miller, John Killbridge, Will Ruch, Doug Ingram, etc.....as well there is a Wooden Canoe Builders Guild (made up mostly of N.American builders, but also includes John Wilkinson of Valkyrie Boats in Northern Ireland)....

When the Globe & Mail wrote The Canadian Canoe Runs Into Rapids, this article about canoe building in Canada was most interesting….especially about Bill Miller who is running the current oldest canoe building operation in Canada…Bill Miller’s workshop is near the Tobique River in northern New Brunswick and he lovingly crafts canvas-covered cedar canoes in the tradition established by his grandfather in 1925.

This Globe and Mail article last year detailed the canoe market in Canada, from Miller’s 85 year old small operation with a production of about 6 canoes a year (plus restoration and even scale models) to Langford Canoe (based near Dwight, Ontario who claim to be Canada’s oldest canoe builder of any significance after 70 years, because they produce so many canoes….even though they outsource their canoe production)….and includes a list of some other current canoe builders from across Canada (as well as some interesting insights from each). There was also a photo essay on Bill Miller and his canoe building business, A Family Tradition Lives On.

I found the following quotes of interest:

Making love in a canoe is hard – as any true, hot-blooded Canadian knows – but making money from canoes is even harder. – Globe & Mail article, A Canadian Craft Encounters Rapids, by Gordon Pitts

Unless you are building a couple of hundred boats a year, you don’t count - Steve MacAllister, president of Langford Canoes

There are probably 100 guys in Canada that have been building canoes in their garage for years, but they don’t really count as companies - Steve MacAllister, Langford Canoe

Every year, we get some farmer come in and say ‘Well, we’ve been building canoes for 250 years.’ We say, ‘Great, and so have the Indians, but are you building thousands of them a year for 40 straight years?’ The answer, of course is, ‘No, we build one a year if we’re lucky.’ - Steve MacAllister, Langford Canoe

I have no interest in building a plastic canoe – Bill Miller

I’ve got 36 more years before I retire. I will gladly build my last canoe on my 100th birthday – Bill Miller

The canoe market is moving back to where it used to be – Bill Swift, on the trend of young families and baby boomers away from power boats due to awareness of the environment and physical fitness

I’ve been doing this since I was a kid – Barry Sharpe, Sharpe’s Canoes, Mann’s Mountain, N.B.

My hands are on every stage of production. If you spend two or three months making something, it becomes a chunk of you, like for a painter. - Will Ruch, Ruch Canoes, Bancroft, Ont.

The survival formula in canoe making is “being married to someone with a real job.” - according to John Kilbridge, Temagami Canoe Company, Temagami, Ontario

As someone said, canoeing is a fringe activity and wood canoes are the fringest of the fringe - Doug Ingram, Red River Canoes, Lorette, Man.

No one gets rich making canoes - Larry Bowers, West Country Canoes, Eckville, Alta.

Obviously the opinions of the owner of Langford Canoe Company, Steve MacAllister, are not shared by several other canoe builders….personally I don’t think the number of canoes built per year is all that designates one as a canoe company or even a canoe builder….many of the smaller canoe builders (even those ‘working out of their garages’) build a beautiful canoe….especially those who build wood canoes. My friend Bruce Smith is such a builder….his wood canvas canoes are a work of art, but totally functional at the same time….keeping a tradition alive….a tradition that, not that many years ago, involved many Canadians, especially in Peterborough and Fredricton….and Bruce is but one such builder….there are several others still building canoes in the old ways….out of small shops (usually one-man operations)….such as Pam Wedd, Roger Foster, Doug Long, Dale Case or other members in the Wooden Canoe Builders Guild (Bruce Smith is also a member of the Guild)….or folks like Doug Ingram, Will Ruch, Dick Persson, Hugh Stewart, John Kilbridge and Bill Miller. To me it isn’t about the quantity but the quality that makes a canoe builder.

The Globe & Mail returned to looking at the Canadian canoe business on Canada Day (well actually the day before)….this time solely on the Langford Canoe Company in an article entitled Canoe President ‘Like Mr. Ambassador For Canada’. Here are a few excerpts from this article:

Mr. MacAllister, president of Langford Canoe, didn’t fancy himself as a canoe enthusiast when his father purchased the company from its original owner in the late 1980s. He was away serving in the military and only ventured up to the Muskoka head office in Dwight, Ont., when he was going to his cottage. But when he took over the business in 1999 something changed.

“People from all over the world (are) calling you and they associate canoeing and everything in Canada with the company, you’re like Mr. Ambassador for Canada,” he says.

Langford’s original owner began crafting canoes in 1940, making it Canada’s oldest canoe company, according to Mr. MacAllister. The assertion has been disputed by other canoe-makers but he says the claims should be dismissed because those makers don’t churn out enough to be considered a company.

In recent years Langford has sold about 1,400 canoes. It’s a number that remains fairly consistent but it’s slowly going up, Mr. MacAllister says.

Mr. MacAllister’s father, Keith…..stumbled into the canoeing business when he bought the land Langford Canoe sat on. Mr. MacAllister says his father wasn’t initially planning on keeping the business going. Within a few months, however, he witnessed the demand for Canadian-made canoes both domestically and internationally….

….Keith MacAllister kept the business and modernized it, adding composite canoes to the brand that traditionally included wooden canoes. Compared to the wooden kind, Kevlar, fibreglass and carbon fibre canoes take less time to make and cost less.

The busiest season at the Muskoka and Toronto stores coincides with cottage season and is typically between Canada Day until Labour Day. To stock the stores 30 employees working at the Quebec composite and wood plants build from mid-January until November.

Years ago the majority of buyers were “hardcore paddlers” who knew almost everything there is to know about canoes but recently that’s changed, Mr. MacAllister says. He says more people are now interested in outdoorsy and green activities like boating so his clientele are more diverse.

It’s apparent that Steve MacAllister still doesn’t give other canoe builders their due….because those makers don’t churn out enough to be considered a company. And I don’t agree with Langford’s claim that they are Canada’s oldest canoe company (I believe Bill Miller has the oldest Canadian canoe company). Now I think that it is great that Langford Canoe has so many people buying their product….even for anybody being an ‘ambassador’ to canoeing in Canada….even for people to want red canoes when they think of Canada (although I don’t share that opinion personally, since my favourite canoe is a green wood canvas canoe). However, no offense intended to Mr. MacAllister or Langford Canoe, but there are others out there who still build canoes….people who actually build canoes, not have them built for them. And such people are as relevant to canoe building and the paddlesports industry in Canada as anyone else is….maybe even more so.

I’m obviously biased but I’m with Bill Miller: I have no interest in building a plastic canoe. I love wood canvas canoes….especially one very special green canoe (built by my buddy, Bruce Smith).

Sorry if this post gets away from the original content of the thread....but the Globe & Mail article(s) do bring up some interesting points that I thought were worth commenting on....

Last edited:
I was interested that you say the main reason for the decline in canoe sales in the US and Canada is because there are less people taking up the hobby as much as the effects of the recession and belt tightening. In the UK we have actually seen a year on year increase in sales, as more and more Activity Centres are putting canoes as well as kayaks into the water and youngsters have a chance to try out canoeing. Traditional wood and canvas and cedar strippers are the preserve of a tiny minority and sales are more or less restricted to the more experienced and older paddlers, and is probably as much to do with the love of quality of craftsmanship, and the heritage and history behind the product as the actual paddling. The price has a lot to do with it too; less of an inhibiting factor to the mature canoeist than a young parent with small kids who just wants to get out on the water and for whom PE or Royalex is just fine. For some time I have paddled GRP canoes and they are functional and cheap and fit for purpose but have no character, its like sitting in a bath tub only with the water on the outside (well, for most of the time!).
To turn to the other topic of your Post - Langford Canoe and its arrogant President. If this company were to be selling here in the UK, many of the statements on the website would be open to challenge by the Advertising Standards Authority since the company purports to design and build the product itself, which clearly in the case of Alain Rheaume's cedar strippers it doesn't. Mr.MacAllister's dishonest and ignorant dismissal of canoe builders with a much more valid claim to be 'Canada's oldest canoe maker' is risible: what about Pinnock Smith and 2000+ years of Algonquin canoe building behind him?! Anyone buying a Langford canoe can rest easy in their beds with the comforting knowledge that there is at least 15 years of carbon fibre heritage behind it (unless they sensibly opt for a cedar stripper)!

Back