Help in ID

Rollin Thurlow

member since 1980
I need a bit of help in identifying this closed gunwale canoe: Morris style decks: heavy copper rivets for the thwarts and seats: heavy carving on seats ans thwarts: A one inch wide hardwood stem which is shaped narrower on the bottom.
In the pictures there is a 3/4" wide strip that is reinforcing the inside rail so that is not really part of the boat!

Attachments

• P8280064 (2).JPG
    P8280064 (2).JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 319
  • P9050038.JPG
    P9050038.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 322
  • PA250106.JPG
    PA250106.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 319
  • P9260100.JPG
    P9260100.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 322
  • P9100082.JPG
    P9100082.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 307
I can't identify this canoe but please let us know if you figure it out. It is probably from one of the older builders listed at http://wcha.org/catalogs/maine-list.htm but I can only guess which one. The rivets may indicate that it was built by someone who usually made small boats. The builders from Rangeley or Kennebunkport might be likely candidates.

Benson

Last edited:
Some more clues would be helpful. Are there any barcodes? Is there pizza stuffed up under the decks, thin or thick crust.....

Benson,
You mention the rivets indicating ," that it was built by someone who usually made small boats". Please elaborate, I have been searching for answers myself. The canoe I am restoring has them as well and I will be purchasing new rivets and a set tool soon to install the new ones.

It is really just a wild guess. Rivets do not commonly appear on canoes (with the exception of Morris stems) but they are more frequently seen on guide boats, batteaux, row boats, and small ocean boats (pea pods, dories, skiffs, etc.) Therefore, it seems that this canoe may have been built by someone who was typically working on bigger boats. I realize that this doesn't narrow it down much.

Benson

Last edited:
The Racine canoe built in Muskegon, MI that I recently restored had riveted handholds. the decks and stem ends were both similar to the photos. The handholds themselves and the seats are completely different than the one I restored. If your canoe is a Racine, it will have a horizontal shear plank with a joint approx. in the center.

Back