Hello From The Not-so-wilds-anymore Of Brantingham Lake, Ny

Rick Mott

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi, all. I just discovered this forum and am looking forward to reading a lot of the older posts, as well.

My grandfather loved wooden boats. When I was a kid, we had 5 of them: two Adirondack lapstrake rowboats, a 1924 Old Town wood/canvas canoe with mahogany trim, a Barnegat Bay sneak box (short, broad-beam, shallow-draft sailboat with a gaff rig) affectionately named the Doodlebug, and a car-top runabout used for a fishing boat. He also had an antique Lawson 4-stroke outboard that probably weighed more than the entire runabout to make 10 HP, but it you were small enough, sat in the middle seat, and used a bamboo extender for the throttle, you could (barely) get it up on plane.

The sailboat was gone before I was out of grade school -- too much for him to maintain. But my grandfather refinished the other 4 boats on a 4-year cycle, one every summer. Of course, as a 13-year-old kid I wanted nothing to do with it -- too busy hanging out with friends. Now of course I wish I'd paid attention. We still have the canoe, the 16-foot rowboat, and the runabout.

I've lived in that canoe summers my whole life. I'm generally alone in it, so I sit in the bow and paddle backward and I have the bow thwart out, but I still have it. Hope my kids will love the canoe as much as I did. Besides, it makes me feel good because it's older than I am and still hanging in there.

This organization has already done me some good. The serial number on the canoe is 98191-16, so it can't be from 1924; must be more like 1927 or 1928. I just joined WCHA, so eventually I'll figure out how to access the scans of the old build records.

Nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the WCHA!

I saw your other post about this canoe... someone who has the records will be along to post info, before too long. Pretty neat to have this canoe in the family for 90 years! Wow!

Any pictures? We really like pictures!

And indeed, Benson came back within 24 hours and gave me a link to the build record. Now, of course, I have another question. My grandfather always did the striping in plain black-and-gold stripes parallel to the gunwhales, but when Mike Hanna of Alder Creek Boat works restored it 30 years ago, he said the stylized oak-leaf termination shown in the photo was the original design. I'd like to find out if that's true. Not sure which forum is best for that kind of question, but I'll pick one and hope. :) Can anyone tell me what the capital cursive letters before "ends" mean?
OakLeafDecoration.jpg
OldTownSN98191StripeDetail.jpg

Hi, Benson -- OK, sorry to clog things up with duplicates.

Thanks for the "turned down" tip. It seems likely that the oak leaf design was Mike Hanna's personal touch; the turned-down designs you reference all seem to follow the bow curve around.

Rick

Back