Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Hello from Michigan

Discussion in 'Guestbook' started by Ric, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ric

Ric Curious about Wooden Canoes

I just got my second canoe. It’s an Old Town from 1917-1919. Serial # is 53873. Looking for info on it.
    I’m excited to finally have a wood/canvas canoe. I’ve been paddling my family around in a 86 Discovery 174 for years. Now the wife and I are the only ones paddling anymore. Wanted something less barge-like. :) Came across this one after looking for a while. Canvas was redone a couple years ago by a restorer but inside is untouched. No rot but very dark/dirty wood. Hopefully I can clean it up and revarnish. I’ll post pictures soon.

MGC likes this.
  2. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

welcome! Enjoy your find! Benson should be along soon with the scoop on your canoe.

3. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

4. OP
    OP
    Ric

Ric Curious about Wooden Canoes

Thanks! Great info. I'm familiar with the guy who posted originally. A friend of my uncle who I just got the boat from.
    The canoe doesn't look to have any finish on the wood. It has since been recanvassed and painted. Whoever recanvassed it chose a lavender to duplicate the purple and the white line is a very mediocre hand painted attempt. I think I will repaint the canvas and varnish the wood. Hopefully I can lighten the wood by sanding it some.