Hello from Granbury, TX

haleywp

It is good to have found this site. I live in Granbury, TX in Pecan Plantation. The subdivision is located just south of Lake Granbury and the Brazos River makes a big horseshoe around the subdivision. Both offer good paddling opportunities. In 1992 a co-worker had a Popular Mechanics magazine that had for the monthly project an article on building a Cedar Strip Canoe. He gave me the magazine and off I went. I started building a canoe using the article and soon learned it did not have enough information for a novice like me. I obtained a book (Canoe Craft) and used it to build the canoe. This was in 1992. I sold the canoe in 1995. The new owners let it sit outside and did not take very good care of the canoe. 2 years ago it ended up back with me. I am now in the process of restoring the canoe. I have to say it is a work of love and good to have my old friend back. When the canoe was first built we were in Louisiana and cedar was not available. The canoe was built out of clear redwood. It was supposed to be a 16 foot Prospector (if I remember correctly) and ended up 17’ – 6”. It weighed 72 pounds. West system epoxy resin was used with 8 ounce cloth. If possible I would like to restore it back, get some exposure and maybe start building more. Again it is great to have found a site with the information that is contained here and look forward to many great reads.

I have attached (I hope) some photos of the start of the process. Any helpful hints/instructions would be greatly accepted.

Thanks
Pat Haley

Attachments

• DSCN1543.JPG
    DSCN1543.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN1544.JPG
    DSCN1544.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN1546.JPG
    DSCN1546.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 453
  • DSCN1547.JPG
    DSCN1547.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCN1548.JPG
    DSCN1548.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCN1549.JPG
    DSCN1549.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 459
Hello,

First, welcome to the WCHA! I'm a bit surprised no-one has responded.

Secondly, nice work! I'm afraid you have been bitten by the bug, and this will probably be the first of many canoes/boats you will build, buy, or generally acquire. It's not just a hobby, but a sickness.

Have fun, and remember, we do like pictures!

Information

Hello,

First, welcome to the WCHA! I'm a bit surprised no-one has responded.

Secondly, nice work! I'm afraid you have been bitten by the bug, and this will probably be the first of many canoes/boats you will build, buy, or generally acquire. It's not just a hobby, but a sickness.

Have fun, and remember, we do like pictures!

I possible can help you you can contact me through WCHA. My information is on the web site under chapter heads. and I do pass through Granbury occasionally. I would like to help if I can
Ron

Back