Hello from France

PatBig

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I just in France, though I took up canoeing a while back when I lived in Portland OR. I just bought my third Peterborough Canoe Company canoe over 15 years, the first one was too damaged to be saved, I traded the second one for a lasptrake canoe of unknown origin, and I just bought the third one on EBay here in France, a 16' cedar rib canoe in very good condition I am going to restore in the coming weeks. Vintage canadian made canoes are not rare here, though the cedar rib type is seldom seen. While looking for data on my canoe, I found - besides this site and forum - a nice little travel book written over a century ago depicting 4 canoe trips in Center and Southern France around 1910 onboard a Peterborough Canoe Company cedar rib canoe very similar to mine. Funnily enough the author is Dr Sexe. There are several photographs in the book. I have ordered a copy of a recent reprint.
I'll be looking for some information on my canoe, maybe a rough build date, and tips to assist in a proper restauration.
Happy paddling all,
Pat

Back