Hello from Chicago!

slidegear

Alan Sidlo by default
Greetings all, my name is Alan Sidlo. My reintroduction to canoes at the Chicagoland Canoe Base caused a quarter of a century to fall away as those youthful days of whiling away the hours on the water resurface in my middle age. Though I pretty much paddle and sail anything you can find on the water from the latest greatest composite SUP boards to the collector faltboots of yesteryear, or anything from aluminum rentals to rotomolded hybrid SOTs, my favorite has to be the natural feel of wood.

For me, the birchbark canoe would have to be the vessel of choice. So now that I have one to take care of... guess it's time to join in the conversation.

Last edited:
Welcome, Alan! We love pictures, so feel free to share the images of your favorite canoe! I believe there are others here who may live near you. With paddling season around the corner, maybe there's a WCHA chapter near-by and you can paddle with a group of like-minded folks (the best people around, in my opinion).

Kathy

Hi Kathy!

Yes, it would something else to be able to join a paddle and take in the sights of these wonderful crafts on the water. Hope to get out to the UP at least once this year as well. Hoping for somewhere on the Keweenaw or maybe Washington Island.

Just figured out where to the pictures go... hope to have something worthy for contribution.

Hi Peter!

LOL! Not to worry, the canoe was not affected by whatever "flavor" they added to the water that day. Here's a shot, hope you like it. Thanks again for the honor of letting me experience this boat and the book about its builder.

Last edited:
Back