Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Guideboat under construction

Discussion in 'Adirondack Guideboats' started by Mike Howland, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Mike Howland

Mike Howland New Member

Hello all,
    I thought I'd post a few photos of my latest project. Something to look at on your lunch breaks.
    It's a guideboat based on details within John Michne's book. Thanks also to Gary Jacuk for an extra set of plans he had printed out. (but yes, I did buy John's book along with several others :)

This is a stripper version of a guideboat so I know it's not authentic to the originals but it's my first attempt at boat building and it looked like I could contain it. Perhaps I'll plank the next one. The lumber's also unusual. It came from a factory that was torn down about 15 years ago. It was built in the 1850's I believe. Given the tightness of the grain, the timber must be old growth. It looks like cypress to me but I'm not 100% sure. Outer stems and other trim will be Cherry.
    -mike

Attached Files:

Dave Wermuth and pklonowski like this.
  2. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Mike, looks like some nice work...

Please see your PMs

3. OP
    OP
    Mike Howland

Mike Howland New Member

off the strongback today... a lot still to do!

Attached Files:

Rob Stevens likes this.
  4. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Looking good!

5. Gary Jacuk

Gary Jacuk Curious about Wooden Canoes

Well done. Seems like you've made a great deal of progress quickly.

6. OP
    OP
    Mike Howland

Mike Howland New Member

Thanks Gary. I had a few weeks off during the holidays and we didn't travel so I was working 6 or 7 hours a day on it. Lot's of fun so far.
    Currently scraping/sanding and refining the inside before moving forward. I won't be bored for a while.

Attached Files: